Grooming the schnauzer head and legs p3

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Grooming the schnauzer head and legs p3

Post by Snazy »

Firstly, here is what the breed standard says....
Miniature – Head strong and of good length, narrowing from ears to eyes and then gradually forward toward end of nose. Upper part of the head (occiput to the base of forehead) moderately broad between ears. Flat, creaseless forehead; well muscled but not too strongly developed cheeks. Medium stop to accentuate prominent eyebrows. Powerful muzzle ending in a moderately blunt line, with bristly, stubby moustache and chin whiskers. Ridge of nose straight and running almost parallel to extension of forehead. Nose black with wide nostrils. Lips tight but not overlapping.
(the stop is the drop between forehead and bridge of nose)

The breed standard is describing the structure of the head, basically a blunt ended wedge, however the head is often described as 'brick shaped' and this is where the shaping of the beard come in, so the end of the wedge aka muzzle is paded out by the beard.

Here is my model for today, Gracie before grooming. Her beard is shorter then I like thanks to having a puppy in the house last year!!

The head and ears are usually clipped with a 10 blade (dogs with a very thick coat can take a closer blade on the ears which would bald a thinner coated dog). I tend to use a 10 on the ears and the 7f blade on the rest, using it against the coat growth, I find it gives a neater trim. For those dogs who are a little rounded across the skull, the 7f can be used to leave a little more length along the line between ear and eye to fill in the rounded corners into a sharper, squarer shape - this can be blended in with the clippers or later with the thinning scissors.

So where do we trim to? for those of you with a p/s or b/s it is fairly easy to work out the rough lines for the eyebrows, just stop as you get to the white bit! For those with blacks or whites you need to investigate a little more, get your hands on the skull and feel for the dip above the eyes, rest a thumb along that line and don't clip any further forward then this (the line may want changing a little later on, depending on head shape but for now this is a good, general line). For the cheeks, it is often recommended to stop at the black whisker, but this isn't always the right place and I usually bring the line further forward. On the photgraph below, you can see where this black whisker lies in relation to the line of the beard.

So how do I work out this line? Use a comb to separate the beard from the hair to be clipped off the cheeks, you can then hold the beard out of the way with your thumb while you trim away the excess hair. The line goes from the outside corner of the eye on a diagonal line to about a finger width behind the corner of the mouth (taking it to the corner of the mouth makes the head to terrier-like), take the same line down the opposite side of the head and then join them underneath the jaw in a curving point. The advantage to having this line a little further forward then the black whisker allows the beard to lie flatter (instead of bushing out to the sides - I think Graham mentioned this as a problem with Eddie - using lots of conditioner on the beard each time he is bathed will also help).

Showing the line in relation to the mouth

Now, there is an exception to this, IF your dog has very rounded cheeks, leaving the beard line a little further back will fill in the sides of the 'brick' at the point where the cheeks come back round towards the eyes.

Different line used on a 'cheeky' dog, note where the black whisker is!

Having the beard line to far forward for your dog gives them a '8' shaped head, modelled here by Ralphy
in this case it was caused by the beard being brought in underneath the eyes, the same look can happen on a cheeky dog.

Next we trim in close to the outer corner of the eye (this stops the bushed out look a lot of schnauzers have and better defines the eyebrows.

Using a pair of small scissors, we then trim out the area between the eyebrows into a V shaped, taking great care not to trim out all of the mask infront of the inner corner of the eye, otherwise you end up with a big, white stripe down the mask which takes several months to grow back out - taking out the minimum amount of hair in the V allows the beard to lie flat under the eye and stops the constant need for trimming as the hair grows back and pokes the dog in the eye or just blocks their vision - so grow that hair out and it will not be a problem anymore.

The V

We are now left with shaping the eyebrows into a triangle, how long you take them is a personal preference, but try not to take them to short or they look like they are constantly surprised at the world! Those dogs with a nice, long head like Grace look best (IMO) with longer eyebrows, dogs with shorter heads look best with slightly shorter eyebrows (or they look in danger of being all eyebrow!). As a rough guide, aim for the eyebrows being about 3/4 the length of the muzzle, some people like to see the eyes but try not to go less then half the length of the muzzle or you are getting close to the little welsh terrier eyebrows!

(photo to follow when camera and computer are talking again!)

To make it easier, you can trim the eyebrows when damp, just beaware that dry hair tends to sit higher, so wait until dry before thinking you need to take a bit more off the length.

There are whiskers in the eyebrows and these can cause the brows to sit above the line of the skull, these can be trimmed down to allow the eyebrow to sit flatter, but this tends to be left on pet dogs.

There are several variations on eyebrows on the continent where the eyebrow isn't split in the centre, from only trimming the ends that go over the nose and leaving the rest as a 'fall' like on a wheaten terrier, so the more stylised version where the eyebrows are trimmed the same along the outercorner of the eye towards the nose to enable the dog to see out, this is a good look for dogs who have a long, narrow head.

Don't forget to pluck the ears
before with the ear powder in place

after
Last edited by Snazy on 24 May 2011, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
Snazy

Re: Grooming the schnauzer head.

Post by Snazy »

Forgot to mention, you CAN trim the beard (unless you've had a puppy do it for you), it shouldn't need doing more then a couple of times a year to keep it at a nice length and in balance with the rest of the dog.

Anonymous

Snazy

Post by Snazy »

The dog above has had to much taken out from the inner corner of the eye, so you can see the white stripe running into the mask (black section of beard falling from top of muzzle)

Bringing the line of the beard forward more (as in OP) will make this head more brick shaped and remove the whispy bits at the side where there isn't really a clear line between beard and cheek. I see this often on schnauzers whose owners groom their own dog between professional trims, as they aren't sure where the line is, so err on the side of caution, so slowly the beard creeps further back.

again the beardline could move further forward, at the moment when you look at this picture the first thing you see is BEARD and oh yes, there is also a dog there! Leaving the eyebrows with more length down the nose will give the head more balance.

Anonymous

henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
Dog #2: Odin
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by henrys mum »

Thank you Jo, now where's my clippers? Oh, where've the dogs gone?????
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
Dianep

Post by Dianep »

Thanks Jo, that is just brilliant and will definitely follow for the next grooming sessions.

I am probably being a bit thick here but am still a bit confused as to the 'white stripe' if you take too much beard out. We took more out of Louis's beard this time (he's the last piccie above) but as you can see the white on him goes almost back to his ears so yes, we do have white showing now where the beard finishes. Anyway, he looks a lot better and we have Dexter to practise on next so will try harder!

Thanks again and look forward to the next installment.

Di
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Fantastic Jo! Thank you! Freddy's white stripe is more because his bridge hasn't really grown back yet, but MAISY has the white stripe too due to me cutting too much in the V!

Can I email you before and after pics if I do the dogs tomorrow?
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Awesome Jo. Thank you! :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

Tulip wrote:Can I email you before and after pics if I do the dogs tomorrow?
Why not post them? That way we might all learn something.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Derwent
First Name: Yvonne
Dog #1: Max
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 03 Sep 2007
Dog #2: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Aug 2010

Post by Derwent »

Thanks for the wonderful guide for all of us who are beginners on the grooming front - looking forward to next installment
Yvonne
Small dogs but big personalities
Max (B/S mini) Monty (P/S mini)
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

This is an excellent reference so I've made it a sticky.
I've had another go at Eddie's head. It is still far from perfect but starting to look a lot better.
Many thanks Jo.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Don't want to clog up this thread so will wait to hear if it's ok with Jo first!
Snazy

Post by Snazy »

Sorry, been to agility tonight, yes OK with me if you want to email or FB the pics first.

Diane, the white stripe comes from the INNER corner of the eye and cuts into the mask, which creates a white stripe down into the beard. I'm not meaning the white on the cheek, if that is what you are refering to?

Glad to hear this post is helping people, that;s what a forum is all about!

Anonymous

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Fabby, I'm really looking forward to doing it tomorrow then!
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Thank you Jo. You forget how small a mini's head is when you only live with a giant!
stacyr

Post by stacyr »

How on earth did you get all that fur out of the ear. Ive started doing Ozzie's myself and though I can get the main opening bit out - how deep in the ear canal do you go?? Yours also looks pretty much hair free whereas Ozzie still has stray ones here and there - also the fir seems to be really soft in his ear and I dont know whether it is breaking off or if its coming out from the root
Stacy
P/S Mini - Charlie; Black Standard - Ozzie