Young male Giants?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: Young male Giants?

Post by Maty »

Michael, hello and welcome to the forum :-h So sorry to hear you have lost Boris :((

I have mini's but from what I have read on here all Giants seem to be a handful for at least 2 years =))
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Basil
Puppy
First Name: Chris

Post by Basil »

My take on things is never have 2 dogs of the same sex unless you have facilities, time and inclination to separate them for life if they decide they are not going to get along. We have two male Russian Black Terriers that live in the same kennel, with only the odd noisy skirmish, but if either got alongside another male we have they'd probably fight to the death. Similarly we have bitches that rub along just fine with certain other bitches, but would similarly fight a different bitch, just "because".

I have never seen a dog and bitch that don't manage to get along in a tolerable manner, but same sex pairings can be fraught with danger and angst, and that danger may only show itself after years of seemingly happy co-existence. Any trigger that causes one of a pair of same sex animals to get into fight mode with a usurper may cause a long term change in their attitude to one another. Sometimes, if you manage two same sex dogs in a cohabiting environment, it's best to leave things be and not introduce a third party. IMHO.

Keeping two large breed dogs apart, for 11 years, in an average domestic environment is not fun, and likely to be extremely wearing to the owners and the dogs themselves.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

We have a young female giant. She is everything you could wish for in a dog: friendly to all dogs and humans (she is just 9 months' old).

The other dogs were all males: Landseer, Berger de Brie, Fila Brasileiro, 2 German Sheperds from Leistungszucht (graue - not to be confused with the "Saddle dogs - show dogs).

Giant Schnauzers need constant supervising for months after birth.

Do not delude yourselves. They maybe friendly but they need to be put in their place in the home and from the first second on.

I decided I had had enough of males and wanted a female. Enya is far worse than all the males we have had. We got her at 12 weeks. Apart from the Landseer, all the others were 8 weeks old. That obviously made a difference - 4 weeks in a pup's life is not to be sniggered at.

At first she threw tantrum fits whenever she was thwarted, i.e. when told "No" she barked and ran around in circles, under a table or so where I couldn't catch her.

Giant Schnauzers don't just need hours of exercise in order to make them tired. When they wake up they are just as "bolshi" as before. They need "mind exercising", they need to know that with "mouth-snapping" and barking that they will never succeed.

They are clever, they learn quickly but they can see through you "like no other dog can". That's probably an exaggeration!!

I have heard horrible stories of shredding the furniture, wallpaper, etc.

They need to "come down" from their "all time high". The best thing is to have them on a long lead (no loop) in the house and to teach them from an early life what they must not do. If you want to "chill out" in the evening, so put the pup on a long lead and make it stay quietly with you. Giant Schnauzers have often trouble with lying down and being quiet.

Enya enjoys being stroked on her forelegs, chest, etc. but sometimes I need her to lie quietly at my side. We are still working on it.

I am late starting dog training with her. I intend starting tracking in the next few days. She searches her ball, tug or whatever when I ask her and brings it back to me so retrieving will not be a problem.

We love her to bits btw!!

Gillian
teenagetrainer
Puppy
First Name: amanda

Post by teenagetrainer »

Was just browsing and saw this. Thought I would add my experience. We lost our 14 year old female giant 3 years ago and I miss her every day. She behaved similarly to her male friends being vocally protective until she knew we were OK with the subject. Stubborn but so so loyal Yes you have to be in charge and put the work in. Especially with boy giants but we now have a mini and would just like to say in our experience these need a lot more excercise than their big brothers! Minis are more like terriers and are constantly on the go I have found. But - they are easier to pick up if need be! I think all cases are different so don't believe your dog will be the same as others!
Jacks1
First Name: Jackie

Post by Jacks1 »

I have recently delved into the world of Giant Schnauzers as I now own a 10 month old called Rolo. For the past 20yrs I've always had mini's of which I still have 2. To say he is a challenge is an understatement but worth the effort. From table surfing to bringing his paddling pool in from the garden (including water) I can only assume it was too hot outside :) I wouldn't be without him.
From reading all the posts I agree it's not something to be gone into lightly.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

He brought the paddling pool indoors?...LOL..that must have been a sight.He has reinvented the term "table surfing" I bet..I now have an image in my head of him riding the table on the pool in your kitchen.. =))
On another site ,a lady describes their new outdoor swimming pool installation...then, the next day ,their giant came indoors with large pipe work in his mouth...he'd only dug down two meters to get the water pipes for the pool out of the ground...
They certainly do sound a challenge for sure.
BlueSkySeas
First Name: JEFF

Post by BlueSkySeas »

All the posts are very interesting and full of useful information, thanks.

We have had a boxer (dog), bullmastiff (bitch), bullmastiff Rhodesian ridgeback X (dog) together over recent years - No real problems with any of them except when we as owners haven't been consistent in their treatment, which is our fault alone.

Exercise off the lead, in particular, consistent firm but importantly 'fair' treatment, lots of love, interaction and treating them as dogs rather than people is the key IMHO.

A crate (their own den) is indispensable and it is their retreat as well as being the comfiest place in the house.

Dogs have to wait for food until they are sitting quietly, they get fed together and watched if any squabbles or food possession then they lose their food for that meal (they learn very quickly). We take their food away for a few minutes regularly in the middle of a meal when they are younger and occasionally as they are older, so they understand they only get fed when we say so and they behave.

If they even sniff or look at our food on tables then firm loud words and they wait a long time for their food.

When they lay quietly in their crates when we are making food or eating, they will get titbits but only if they don't bother us at the table or when we are eating. They learn if they want bits of cheese or scraps of bacon or a boiled egg, a few peas etc that the 'only' way they will get it is if they are lying down in their crate and 'never' begging.

When they are quiet and laying down, that is when they are rewarded and get treats and the only time apart from game time. If they ever beg or bother us they get nothing. Intelligent dogs learn fast.

We play games around the house with them with treats but they have to earn it. Until they can be absolutely trusted they are in their crates when we leave the house building up that time.

We do neuter our dogs but only when they are fully grown and maturish. Our dogs are fed barf, with commercial treats.

Any aggression at all is severely treated with loud angry voice and no food or treats for a few hours.

We have had problems such as a door knawed or wall chomped but it was probably our fault for the most part for not being quick enough in realising there was a potential issue.

This might sound a little harsh but they also get loads of love daily and attention. Dogs are happier when they know their place and understand their boundaries.

Presently we are looking for a miniature schnauzer to join the family and I suspect we will have to tailor things a little to its needs but in a few years, as we cross the bridge, we are looking to have a giant hopefully. I am sure it will be a challenge but the breed sounds just up our street hopefully.

Hope you don't mind the loitering on the forum as we pick up hints and adjust our way of doing things along the way.
RainyDayz
First Name: Kate

Post by RainyDayz »

I'm not sure if I should admit to this but with all my dogs (now on giants nos 5 and 6) I have rough-house wrestled with them as pups and always make sure I 'win' by putting my hand gently on their heads and making them stay in the down position during the wrestling bouts til I let them up. We still wrestle and the male is 5 years old. He enjoys this game so much we start every day with it, a sort of rolling morning maul! They learn I'm fun but not to be challenged. I have been challenged though nevertheless by one giant who was the most self-centred male I have ever met, (Trump excepted) he (also) turned out to be a bit schizzy. we called him 'me too' as jealous was his default temperament. I don't think it's a pack thing, just friends playing.
Hot Poppy
Puppy
First Name: Penny
Dog #1: Reeba
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 02 Nov 2014

Post by Hot Poppy »

Very good article. I have a 3.5 year speyed bitch and 2 year old unneutered male. Both are fantastic. But you are very correct. If you are not able to give this breed enough physical and mental exercise and consistent firmness in training, then this breed isn’t for you. I’ve worked with dogs for over 20 years, but due to allergies, my hubby had never had a dog. And there were times, especially with our first GS, that he was getting so frustrated and short tempered. He also needed to be trained how a GS mind works. You’re not dealing with a little follow you round puppy dog!! You have to be on top of them and two steps ahead all the time. We love ours to pieces and they are so full of love back. But I do warn people who come up to me and ask about them, they are not easy and nothing like the minis. You get out what you put in.