Come fly with me...

Our members organise Schnauzer walks and Schnauzer Events all over the country and you will find all the details here. Join in and make some new friends for you and your Schnauzer. Feel free to share your travel tips here too.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Come fly with me...

Post by Caramomo »

Some of you may be aware that I have a job that means I travel. I'm currently in the Netherlands although this contract looks like it will be ending before the year is out so I'm currently looking for a new job. One thing most of the jobs I'm applying for have in common is location - they require some form of air travel to get there!

Now the girls have to come with me so I've started looking at pet travel agents, I've narrowed a list down to about four or five and I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow afternoon. The current plan is that they go into kennels the day I fly or the day before and they stay there for about 10 days before they follow me out to give me time to sort everything out at that end and also I will not get alot of notice so the time for them in kennels should help give me a bit of time to get their flights booked and the travel crate sorted. The companies I'm looking at all offer a boarding service, and can provide crates, and most will also collect/deliver at either end although I'm hoping this won't be necessary.

I thought given the experience on here I'd ask; does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice or recommendations for air freighting dogs?
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dannie_kl

Re: Come fly with me...

Post by dannie_kl »

I'm afraid i dont have any tips or tricks but i know how expensive it can be, when i wanted to take freya to ireland for the belfast show and i contacted overdlae kennels in the UK who do the sort of thing you are talking about and just to northern ireland was over £700. hmmm wish i could help and have the girls or something but as you know i'm a bit in the air for the end of the year, if i can help though just shout!
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

Sorry I can't be anything but vague. Once read about people taking their dogs to the west indies and it was so much cheaper using Air France than a British carrier - and the dogs got to be in the cabin!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

i definately reckon its worth doing a bit of price investigation
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

I've been looking at pet travel agents, they look after pretty much everything and arrange all the flights. I do know that some US carriers have more stringent rules on what they will and won't carry to ensure the dog is as comfortable as possible. I'll have a look at airfrance, if they can be in the cabin with me I'll think they will be a lot happier. Thanks schnauzerfan. Yes Dannie I have been doing lots of looking around and will continue to do so, at least I'm looking at leaving the UK, coming back looks more complicated as there are only certain routes and carriers I can use (and certain carriers on certain routes so I have no way to shop around).
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Just caught this. I would offer to watch them for you in a heartbeat, but my mother might have something to say about it! ;)
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

For 9-12 months? That's not watching, that's owning. Oh hang on, that's what you were after wasn't it? (giggle)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I thought you meant ten days! Uh...of COURSE I was after longer! ;) I'm moving out in March, don't think the landlord would let me have FOUR little ones.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Caramomo wrote:For 9-12 months? That's not watching, that's owning. Oh hang on, that's what you were after wasn't it? (giggle)
Why would they need caring for for 9-12 months? is it something to do with passport control?
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Sorry, got confused with looking after them instead of putting them in kennels for 10 days and looking after them whilst I was away. Of course I wasn't expecting the latter, but in my cold fugged head this morning i got very confused!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

oh i'm with ya, i was confused too!