what is Flyball?

Our Schnauzers love to be active. Have a look which activity will suit your dog. There is everything from Agility, flyball, Rally-O, Cani-X to Schutzhund.
dannie_kl

what is Flyball?

Post by dannie_kl »

We all know that Mini's in particular excel at the sport of Agility but what do we know about flyball?
Flyball is a competitive team sport where 2 teams of four dogs and their handlers race against each other. there are two "lanes" which consist of 4 hurdles aand a flyball box at the end. the box has a pedal which the dog must press to release the ball into the air, the dog must be accurate to catch the ball and begin the run back over the four hurdles so the next dog can go in relay. The dogs get very excited and often quite vocal in anticipation for their run.
Want to know more about flyball? visit: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2898
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: what is Flyball?

Post by Sianny »

Thank you for this, it's something I'm interested in as well as agility. There's a dog class 1 mile away when I move in November and I believe they do both on a fun level :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

it would be well worth having a go as Ralphy might just love it and it involves zero running around on your part compared to agility! mine arent good at retrieving so flyball is a bit lost on them bless'em but let us know how it goes if you do try it out!
sandra_1001

Post by sandra_1001 »

We have tried flyball and Monty loves it, he gets very excited and hates it if he is not in the team running. He s not brilliant at retrieving the ball and can be easily distracted but he is getting there. (dogrun)
Monty - Salt and pepper boy - born 10th May 2009, joined our family and made it completed 4th July 2009
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

well done monty! (kiss)
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

That sounds like loads of fun. I think Arthur would like it.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

If you follow the link to the kennel club website you can watch vids of dogs doing flyball and you'll see how excited they get, i think it would be great to see more mini's doing flyball!
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

This sounds exciting!

Is there such a thing as a taster day where dogs and owners can try a few different dog sports to see which one they prefer? (planning ahead here (giggle) )
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

some clubs do offer taster days, ask around!