behaving at the vets

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
dannie_kl

Re: behaving at the vets

Post by dannie_kl »

sorry i have no idea Joni but i hope its ok!
Joni

Post by Joni »

He will be fine dannie, I don't think he is even aware of it!

Was gonna spray some of that second skin on it for humans, but was not sure!!!!

Well as long as it stays clean he can wait till Sat, bloody expensive dog!
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
Cheeky Paws

Post by Cheeky Paws »

Joni, I don't think they can be re-stitched with the dog awake. Recently one of my dogs needed to have a claw cut back following an injury and they did that with sedation which was a lot cheaper than having anaesthetic, but still not cheap. Is Dylan leaving the stitches alone as sometimes they manage to dislodge the stitches themselves. I am not sure about the second skin spray, maybe someone on here will be able to advise on that. I hope all goes ok for your big lad, they will probably have given a long lasting anti-biotic which should help.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

well hopefully the vet will give him the thumbs up on saturday!
Joni

Post by Joni »

Dylan is not aware of it as it is on his back, where the flea stuff would go - i.e. where he cannot reach. It was healing perfectly and then they must have been play fighting as I can down from upstairs to find the centre 2 stitches out and it was raw. I have cleaned it a couple of times and yesterday put a tee shirt on him - as they simply will not stop playing and i find it hard to seperate them (the dogs) all day long! It is clean and seems to be drying a bit now it is not weepy any longer - so fingers crossed. LIke you say I expect the other sititches will stay in a little longer and he will get an antibiotic....

Sorry thread hijack - oops!
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Joni wrote:Dylan is not aware of it as it is on his back, where the flea stuff would go - i.e. where he cannot reach. It was healing perfectly and then they must have been play fighting as I can down from upstairs to find the centre 2 stitches out and it was raw. I have cleaned it a couple of times and yesterday put a tee shirt on him - as they simply will not stop playing and i find it hard to seperate them (the dogs) all day long! It is clean and seems to be drying a bit now it is not weepy any longer - so fingers crossed. LIke you say I expect the other sititches will stay in a little longer and he will get an antibiotic....

Sorry thread hijack - oops!
oh dont be silly-we welcome you into the naughty corner with open arms!
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

The only problem is that the naughty corner is getting a bit full [laughing]
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

yep - lola is in it everytime we get back from the vets!
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I'm so glad we've moved from the naughty step into a corner, I was getting rather squished under all those new members joining in the silliness! [laughing]

Joni, I wouldn't think they can put new stiches in without some form of pain relief. Had to have stiches in my chin once and that flippin hurt!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Joni

Post by Joni »

Hello all

They took out the three stitches which had come open ( as they were still in just not holding the skin together if that makes sense) and has left the others in till thur / fri. The would is about 5mm or so open but it has hardened off a bit, so the vet is not worried, he says simply if it bleeds or weeps just keep cleaning it up - i have kept him out the sea though!!!!

PS He DID NOT BEHAVE AT THE VETS TODAY we had to leave by the back door on account of his BAD ATTITUDE - oops!
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Joni wrote:Hello all

They took out the three stitches which had come open ( as they were still in just not holding the skin together if that makes sense) and has left the others in till thur / fri. The would is about 5mm or so open but it has hardened off a bit, so the vet is not worried, he says simply if it bleeds or weeps just keep cleaning it up - i have kept him out the sea though!!!!

PS He DID NOT BEHAVE AT THE VETS TODAY we had to leave by the back door on account of his BAD ATTITUDE - oops!
ooopsy! what happened?
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

(giggle) When they get the grumps they get the grumps (giggle)
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
Grice
First Name: Melanie

Post by Grice »

my pets are REALLY well behaved at the vets...they actually scare more people than dogs though, he he...my poor harmless ratties...

last time when i was taking luna to the vets, there was an old cairn terrier, a westie and a jack russell, then in coes the biggest gsd i've ever seen, a beautiful police dog with its handler, it had a silence of the lambs type muzzle on, don't know why as it was so nervous and shivered for ages, it was silent until a gorgeous but MASSIVE irish wolfhound girl came in, the had the most beautiful amber eyes and disposition ive seen, i did fall in love with her a bit - had to sternly remind myself that not only is dave allergic and we couldn't afford to feed her or even fit her in our house...i smiled as i remembered that we're going to share our lives with an even more gorgeous schnauzer soon!!!!
snerw0n
First Name: brian
Dog #1: cassie
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 18 Jun 2006

Post by snerw0n »

We dont generally have problem at the vets. Hettie just wants to do her tigger thing with everyone, whilst Cassie is just her normal aloof self, although she did yelp a little for her last jab, surprise more than anything else I think, but was a little wary immediately afterwards, but then she is a woosie!
Never have a problem getting cassie through the vets door, only real problem we do have is getting Cassie to leave the vet's, sometimes having to almost drag her out. She hates the car, and would prefer the vets to riding in the car.
(giggle) (giggle)
stupid dog.
cassie , p/s schnauzer
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I took Freds to the vets a couple of weeks ago and he was very stressed - I think he smells the pheremones from other stressed dogs and it sets him off. He didn't do anything like barking, but in the waiting room he was over-stimulated. Today I took Mais in for her injection and the vet commended me on how well I was training her and said he wishes more puppy owners were like me. I was tickled pink. My mother calls me Stalin, but I don't care. :D