Trimming TOOLS

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Schubert
Puppy
First Name: Astrid
Dog #1: KIPLING
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 0- 0-2023

Trimming TOOLS

Post by Schubert »

Hi
My standard is now nearing 7 months, has a beautiful wire coat and the hair length is 4+ cm.
I can strip out the soft undercoat, I know how to do eyebrows and tidy up ears. However, the wire coat can be stripped or rolled, but the hair length is increasing. What do I do? What tool and process is required to control the length of the wire coat.
cheers
Astrid
Cold-nosed identity: Kipling
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Trimming TOOLS

Post by Dawnspell »

The wire is going to be blown (meaning its nearing the end of its growth cycle) so will pull out really easy. It will be tricky to get a nice even rolled coat at this point but the alternative would be stripping to bald, so rolling hes probably going to look a bit scruffy before looking good with his coat being so long. You want to start pulling some coat from all over on a weekly basis so that the wire starts growing back in at different stages so eventually it becomes shorter. You then control the length by how often and how much you pull at a time. In winter I leave Jaspers coat longer so only strip once a month, but in the summer I strip every week to keep it short.

I use a Hauptner blue course stripping knife available on amazon and Rainbow course knife from Groomerdk for stripping.

There are lots of posts on the forum from people starting the stripping journey on puppies etc so have a look through for more info.
viewtopic.php?t=25105
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schubert
Puppy
First Name: Astrid
Dog #1: KIPLING
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 0- 0-2023

Re: Trimming TOOLS

Post by Schubert »

Awesome! That answers my question. Yes the hair gets out with ease. Spring is already hot and I will keep doing what I do!
Thankyou - will compare my tools 🛠️
Cold-nosed identity: Kipling