Crate

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Arrangrl62
Puppy
First Name: Jane

Crate

Post by Arrangrl62 »

Hi

My little Tom is 11 weeks old . I got him on Tuesday and he seems to be settling in and managing well with toilet - peeing outside despite grass being cold and wet. Not doing so well with poo

He sleeps over night in his crate really well - i hear him for about 5 mins then silence . Thats him till I get up in the morning . I work in a hybrid way , so will be at home with him , a lot but will have to attend meetings- also go out etc. He seems to hate his crate during the day . Cries for ages .

He also yelps when I leave the room . I have only let him in kitchen and living room just now to help him settle in

Any words of wisdom welcomed folks re the crate
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Crate

Post by Dawnspell »

I work from home but Jasper still spends some time in a crate while I'm working in the office just to make sure he stays happy with it. He doesnt sleep in a crate at night which is why I do it during the day.

Make the crate a high value area.
As you pass throw treats in so he finds surprise treats as he walks passed.
When you see him going in throw more treats in while hes inside. Even better if he does a down and you can keep putting treats in front of him on his bed in there.

Throw a treat out of the crate and once hes come out to get it see if he goes back in on his own. If he does keep treating in there and do the same in and out but only giving one treat out but lots when he goes back in. If he doesnt go back in on his own keep building the value of tossing treats in etc.

He will find it easier if the crate is by you. Once happy going in move the door and treat for not coming out. Gradually work up to closing it and leaving it closed for very short times before any stress, also do say 2 mins, 5 mins but then easy wins of 1 min so he doesnt get the idea the time is always getting longer.

I didnt start daytime crate training with Jasper until he was over 2 years old. I had the crate at the side of my chair in the office to start with and I couldnt stand up to get a print off the printer without him getting up and pawing to come out thinking I was leaving him :)) A lot of it is about making your movements not important so they ignore you and stay settled. I'd stand up then sit down, go to the door and come back and sit down etc so he just got fed up of keeping an eye on me.

You can work on leaving in different areas once he is happy in the crate next to you. I have more than one crate and tend to put Jasper somewhere different everyday or even move him from one crate and into another. You can also do crate training on an evening by having it next to you and keep rewarding while hes in there. You can also give things like stuffed kongs or long lasting chews, Jasper isnt interested in food so I've never bothered with him but each dog is different.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Arrangrl62
Puppy
First Name: Jane

Re: Crate

Post by Arrangrl62 »

Thanks for tips Dawn x