Spaying

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Andee Jay
Puppy
First Name: Andee
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 0-10-2009

Spaying

Post by Andee Jay »

We have recently acquired a 16 month old giant schnauzer whose next season will be around November ie when she will be 19 months. Our vet has said to wait until 3 months after that season. It seems rather late so I'm interested in what others say.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Spaying

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm not quite sure what you mean by rather late. Are you referring to her age or the time to wait after her season?

In general terms the larger the breed then the longer the wait the better to allow them to finish growing, it can be up to 2 years old for some breeds. Also if shes a recent addition I would be inclined to give her as long as possible to settle in before her having a major op.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I agree with Alison’s reply above. Wait until she is mature and settled with you. The three month gap between seasons is to be sure the hormones are at their least active midway between one season and the next so your vet is offering good advice :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Andee Jay
Puppy
First Name: Andee
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 0-10-2009

Post by Andee Jay »

Thank you very much for coming back to me.