Rescue Mniature Schnauzer

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Iamised10
First Name: Olga

Rescue Mniature Schnauzer

Post by Iamised10 »

Hello, I do not have a miniature schnauzer. I am looking for older rescue miniature schnauzer. I have been involved with dogs for 20 years plus, but not schnauzers. I have experienced in training obedience/agility/showing.

I have sent emails to the Kennel Club and other resources, but to no avail. Hence, I am hoping that someone on the forum can help in my search.

Thanking you,
Olga Shelton
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Rescue Mniature Schnauzer

Post by Dinkum »

Hi Olga

Not sure where you are in the country, but this little guy popped on the Dog's Trust website in Manchester on the weekend.
https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/d ... 3278/billy

Let us know how you get on.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Olga and welcome to the Forum :)

Did you have a specific reason for wanting a miniature schnauzer and not wanting to get a puppy?

I don’t know whether the ‘other resources’ you mention gave you any feedback on why they could not help you for example that they had no older miniature schnauzers looking for new homes or that there were particular concerns as to whether you could offer the ‘rescue’ schnauzers the best home.

I do know that anyone looking to re-home an older pedigree /purebred dog with another person/ family is most likely to prefer someone with experience in the breed. The term ‘rescue’ covers a wide range of different situations where dogs are concerned and maybe only a proportion of these are strictly speaking ‘rescued’. Many will have been given up by their owners to a shelter or to breed club re-homing and then there are older dogs who are looking for a second home from a breeder who no longer shows or breeds from them or who have been surrendered by a family who can no longer care for them for a variety of different reasons. Each dog will have its own needs and possible trauma to deal with and you could find a re-home dog that settles easily into a new life or one that has multiple issues which need to be addressed. A good re-homing centre or individual looking to re-home a dog should be going through the same vetting procedure on potential new families for that dog as they would for a puppy and, in many cases, be even more selective and vigilant due to potential issues from the previous home.

I am just explaining this as there really are many significant factors to consider when anyone is looking to re-home an older dog and lack of experience with the breed could be a top priority. Experience in training/ obedience etc. may not necessarily be as important when looking for a miniature schnauzer and it may be that, if you have fallen in love with the breed, you should consider getting on a waiting list from a reputable breeder for a puppy. Once you have established a good relationship with a breeder and they know you understand and are good with the breed, you are more likely to be offered a re-home mini in the future :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Iamised10
First Name: Olga

Post by Iamised10 »

Dear Zeta 1454,

Many thanks indeed for your welcome and for your quick reply. I'm not available at the moment to reply to your message, but will do when I arrive home.
Thanks again.