Iris at six months

The Schnauzer puppy stage goes by so quickly, so make sure you get lots of pictures and make sure that you share them with the rest of us. Bristle noses, floppy ears and wagging tails are all welcome.
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

Iris at six months

Post by Sandie1 »

Iris at six months...

I'm wondering if Iris is looking okay for her age? I think she's on the small side, but seems to have long legs (as did her mum). She was the smallest puppy in the litter. She's just had her first full groom...she does look skinny and it's taking me a while to get used to it. She's going on for 5KG in weight and seems fit and well in every way. I know she's far from show standard but we love her anyway!

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Iris at six months

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Rachel, Iris is looking lovely :o3
She is still young and like many adolescents will be going through a phase of looking lanky which will be more noticeable now she has had her ‘adult’ groom. Within a few months she should start filling out and will look much more as you are probably expecting. It is often a shock when a fluffy puppy has their first real groom to look like a schnauzer as the coat lies flatter and the shape is suddenly revealed more but don’t worry as she is looking good.
If she is small in build she may only gain another kilo or two in weight but it is not always the case that the smallest puppy in the litter becomes a small adult so Iris could grow bigger as she matures.
Lovely photos of her too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

She looks just like Jasper did at same age, a skinny mini =)) Theres a lot of overweight dogs out there and you begin to think thats the norm. She looks fine. Sorry for blurry photo he wouldnt keep still :D

His legs also went on forever =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

She's beautiful! I don't think she looks too skinny, as others have said, puppies often go through a pudgy period and then shoot up and stretch out. At 6 months I would expect at least a few more pounds.

My Ozzy was 7.03kgs at 6 weeks and now at 18 months, he is 8.61kgs. He went up to 9.29kgs and the vet said he should be 8.61kgs, so he is now at that ideal weight.

I didn't notice that he was overweight, he looked 'normal' to me, but the actual ideal weight is much less. You want to fairly easily feel their rib bones and see a nice waist and tuck (under that skirt). I think she looks great! I wouldn't worry about weight at this point as long as she is fed well (nutritious food) and digesting it well. We ended up putting Ozzy on a 'light' formula food to get and keep his ideal weight.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Iris is gorgeous also I love her name. My last girl always weighed 8.5 kgs now have a boy who will be 5yrs in May & he has been weighing 7.5kgs for the last few years.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Sandie1
Puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Thank you to everyone, it has eased my mind. Iris is fed on raw food which I think perhaps keeps them more slender. I know minis do vary somewhat in size and weight, my last girl was small too but a bit of a yo-yo dieter! I had to keep adjusting her food to keep her ideal as she soon tipped over onto the "plumper" side, but she was fed on kibble.
Talking of which, my vet gave me a bit of a telling off last time Iris was there, a few weeks ago. He said "everyone thinks raw food is so wonderful and it's not". He told me about a lurcher which he had to euthanise due to a build-up of bone in the bowel (or intestine, I can't remember which). I think he wants me to stop feeding raw :( Personally I had found more positives than negatives for BARF. But he did scare me a bit. It's not that easy to find good independent vets, so I don't really want to start looking for another vet just because I disagree with him, he's been my vet for nearly 30 years.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Sandie1 wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 15:21 Thank you to everyone, it has eased my mind. Iris is fed on raw food which I think perhaps keeps them more slender. I know minis do vary somewhat in size and weight, my last girl was small too but a bit of a yo-yo dieter! I had to keep adjusting her food to keep her ideal as she soon tipped over onto the "plumper" side, but she was fed on kibble.
Talking of which, my vet gave me a bit of a telling off last time Iris was there, a few weeks ago. He said "everyone thinks raw food is so wonderful and it's not". He told me about a lurcher which he had to euthanise due to a build-up of bone in the bowel (or intestine, I can't remember which). I think he wants me to stop feeding raw :( Personally I had found more positives than negatives for BARF. But he did scare me a bit. It's not that easy to find good independent vets, so I don't really want to start looking for another vet just because I disagree with him, he's been my vet for nearly 30 years.
Re the raw feeding, I would just try to avoid discussing it with the vet if you are happy with their service in other respects. Of course there will be the occasional dog that may suffer a blockage due to too much bone in a meal / diet but there are likely to be far more incidents of blockages due to dogs eating socks, cloths, stones or other indigestible items and I know personally of a dog that was euthanised due to a chunk of a “greenie” dental chew becoming stuck in his oesophagus and the surgeon was unable to remove and yet these are sold through or recommended by vet surgeries.

If you are feeding prepared raw meals from a reputable company it is unlikely that there is any risk of a blockage from bone. You can usually tell if the bone content is too high as it will make the poo very dry and crumbly and, if that does happen, just feed a few boneless meals. If you are giving Iris raw meaty bones to chew them just monitor her to be sure she is not biting off chunks of it.

There are vets who are very positive about raw feeding and, of course both from a hygiene and a nutrition perspective, anyone who does raw feed needs to do so responsibly. It would be more helpful if vets could advise those who do want to raw feed their dogs how to do so safely rather than scaremongering but unfortunately too many vets are not trained in nutrition and come from veterinary establishments sponsored by pet food companies who want to sell their products through the surgery. As most raw food for dogs companies are relatively small scale, they don’t have the financial clout of the big brand multinational kibble companies.

There is a link here to the Raw Feeding Veterinary Society website which has some interesting information regarding the myths and confusion around feeding a raw diet to dogs, but I have no concerns re bone blockage with our dogs and have never had an issue with raw feeding them over the past 15 years now.

https://rfvs.info/rfvs-position-statement-2021/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sandie1
Puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Thanks for your comments Leigh, it's reassuring. I feed Nutriment which I believe is reputable, and I have not yet had the courage to feed bones. On the whole I have a good relationship with the vet but the issue re: raw came up. I haven't changed my mind, so will continue for the moment anyway!