Meet Alfie

The Schnauzer puppy stage goes by so quickly, so make sure you get lots of pictures and make sure that you share them with the rest of us. Bristle noses, floppy ears and wagging tails are all welcome.
Amanda21
Puppy
First Name: Amanda

Meet Alfie

Post by Amanda21 »

Collection went well and he slept the whole 4hrs home in the car, was like having a hot water bottle on my lap!

He has settled really well, a few accidents inside, but think that's more me not knowing his signals! But two successful wees outside so far :-bd
He slept through the whole night without a sound, which I was very impressed about, just hope it continues! Even my very timid cat has been very intrigued by him and has come in to the room with him while he is sleeping, and basically just stared all the time. Thought she was going to be a nervous wreck!
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Meet Alfie

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Congrats! Alfie is so sweet! Glad your cat is warming up to him.

If you wanted any tips for potty, (I was going to ask first, but already started typing, so here goes)

For the 1st little while, it may work better to take pup out on a frequent potty break maybe every hour. If pup doesn't potty in 5 mins, bring pup back in but do not take your eyes off pup. Any indication of needing to potty such as circling, sniffing, scratching, veering off, immediately pick your pup up and being pup outside to potty. If there is no indication of needing to potty, take pup out again in 1 hour.

The idea is to try as hard as you possibly can to have all elimination done outdoors.

If there are any 'accidents' indoors, try hard not to react, just calmly pick pup up and bring pup outside. Clean mess calmly with an enzymic cleaner to rid the scent and prevent pup from eliminating in that spot again.

Bring pup outside after every nap, every meal, every play session and during if they give any indication of needing to potty. My guy is 1.5YO, fully potty trained and he still has to go out to potty sometimes during an indoor play session. It's just drilled into my head!

Welcome to the schnauzer forum, love the pic of Alfie and feel free to share or ask any questions 😊
Amanda21
Puppy
First Name: Amanda

Post by Amanda21 »

He has gotten a lot better and he now gives a certain sign I pick up on, so off we pop.
Only issue he has pee'd on my rug a couple of times, must feel like moss/grass. Think I'll put pads on it to protect it, but other that he's been a good boy.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Alfie looks very cute :o3

Regarding the pee-ing on your rug, I would be wary of putting pads on it or even using the pads too much. Puppies often don’t distinguish between a pee pad and any other square / oblong or maybe even round soft floor item when they are out in the house and, if they are regularly using a pad may also at times use a rug. I would try if you can to wean him from using the pads except maybe if he is left in the crate or playpen alone but not in the main areas of the house. It could be better to remove your rug temporarily so he doesn’t think of that as an alternative place to go.

You also need a safe spray cleaner to try and remove the scent, if you don’t already have one. Something like this, although there are other similar products:

https://www.powair.co.uk/product/powair ... and-odour/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Hes very cute :x
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

welcome to the forum, Alfie is gorgeous enjoy as they grow so fast.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl