Chasing bicycles and scooters

Need help using the forum. Then please ask here. We will be along shortly to give assistance about using the forum or questions about any of the features.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to ask questions about using the forum. Any specific issues relating to your dog can be raised in the appropriate section. All the advice will work on a desktop PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unless specified, it has not been tested on tablets or smartphones.
buckrodgers
First Name: Steve

Chasing bicycles and scooters

Post by buckrodgers »

Hi all I have a standard schnauzer she is 14 months old. She keeps trying to go for bicycles and scooters. Has anyone got any ideas how to stop this? Many thanks Steve
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Chasing bicycles and scooters

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum Steve :) ~

Have you had your schnauzer since she was a puppy ? I assume she is going for moving vehicles when she is still on lead? Don’t risk her off lead around moving bicycles or any other vehicle.

You really need to just increase focus work on walks with her so that whenever you see a bicycle or scooter coming you can get her attention - reward with a treat - and repeat this on every walk. As she is still young but no longer really a puppy, it may take some time and lots of patience but being vigilant about what is approaching and ready to call her attention to you is the best solution. Attention and focus are vital in training and you can practice this anywhere with her at any time - calling her attention to you from whatever she is doing - play at home, chewing on a bone..whatever..and always reward her for giving you that attention or for coming to you if she is at a distance.

I have a dog - not a schnauzer - who was unused to traffic when he came to us and he had a tendency to lunge at passing or approaching vehicles. It did take time but calling his attention regularly on walks and rewarding him every time he responded to me has resulted in a huge improvement. He will now either ignore the vehicles or occasionally looks to me for a treat when a vehicle comes by but does not make a move towards it.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
buckrodgers
First Name: Steve

Re: Chasing bicycles and scooters

Post by buckrodgers »

Thank you for the advice. She only goes for cars on the odd time. The things that you have said about getting her attention before a bicycle or scooter arrives we have been trying that by both giving treats or trying to increase the distance between us, but as soon as she sees them she is so focused on them. The things you said about getting her attention at random times for her to come to me is a good idea and will definitely be trying that

Thanks again