Same skin condition as my previous mini? Coincidence?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Frederickdawg
First Name: Freddy
Dog #1: Tobias
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 07 Jul 2021

Same skin condition as my previous mini? Coincidence?

Post by Frederickdawg »

I’ve been noticing small raised red bumps around the back top side of my Toby. Similar to pimples or zits that is humans get. Also some are raised white bumps of same size about 1 to 2 mil white with skin flakes around them. Like dandruff.

I remember Cleo used to get this as well. I don’t believe this is the usual schnauzer bumps. Which are normally larger bumps right ?
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Same skin condition as my previous mini? Coincidence?

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Are you clippering? If so, are you following the grain of the hair or clippering against?
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Hi, yes. I clip him using a wahl or Andis clipper. But I I don’t go down to skin. I also don’t follow grain of the hair line per your question.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Can you take a pic and send it to the vet? I think schnauzer bumps are thought to be genetic, and I'm not a versed with clippering, but I think for the back you want to follow the grain. My old groomer (when I used to take my dogs) told me it had to do with clippering. I think there are a few causes or just genetic.

It would be best to 1st confirm if they are or are not schnauzer bumps.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Can you take a pic and send it to the vet? I think schnauzer bumps are thought to be genetic, and I'm not a versed with clippering, but I think for the back you want to follow the grain. My old groomer (when I used to take my dogs) told me it had to do with clippering. I think there are a few causes or just genetic.

It would be best to 1st confirm if they are or are not schnauzer bumps.
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

It’s very difficult to see them let alone take a pic. They are like red raised pimples. Alas they are less now. They were scattered around his top area from around base of head to base of tail. Around 5 or 6 if not not more. Around 1 to 3 mil in size. The other ones are smaller but white raised , now whether the red raised bumps turned to white raised flakey bumps later or vicer versa I don’t know. I’ve stopped feeding all diary ( natural yogurt Greek ) and chicken. We’ll see. Or or could just be bites from bugs when I was taking him to the dog park daily until last week.

PS. After researching schnauzer bumps and commode syndrome I think it’s called. They are all like little black heads. Which is not the case here.

Tilly123
First Name: Elton

Post by Tilly123 »

Hi this may be to late but.. My Mini has what sounds like the same/similar bumps. A few spot size and shaped bumps, some with flakes at the tip. I took her to the vet as they didn’t clear up. I was advised that it was a bacterial skin infection that would progressively worsen. She has been put on a weeks antibiotics. I will update you in a week or two on the progress.