8month old boy fussy eating

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Radish
First Name: James

8month old boy fussy eating

Post by Radish »

Morning all - first post here. I have a delightful nearly 8 month old mini boy called Eddie. The last couple of weeks he has been quite picky with his food (dry kibble) and not eating at some meal times. A brief summary:
He was on three meals a day (same amount each one), and always wolfed it down. Couple of weeks ago he started to lose interest in his food, so we also read that 7months is a good time to move from three meals to two so we have gradually done that as well. But he is still quite disinterested. We have warmed it up, added a bit of water, mixed some wet food in - some meals he eats, some he picks at, some he ignores completely. Same with some of his treats - sometimes loves them, other times not interested. We currently leave it down for about 20minutes then take it away.
Apart from eating his behaviour, toileting, exercise is all good - and Im hoping it is just because he is hormonal and going through that tricky phase of his life. He has developed cloth ears in the last few weeks as well!
I have him booked in for a vet appt to double check later this week, but he seems perfectly fine apart from the eating.
So am I worrying too much and is this just a hormonal adolescent phase? Having spoken to other people I dont want to start changing his food more and more as read that will turn him into a fussy eater.
Any thoughts welcome please! Thanks
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: 8month old boy fussy eating

Post by Dawnspell »

Could just be down to hormones.
I've had 2 boys that have not been food orientated from being puppies although Jasper isnt as bad as Barney was. Jasper will not eat anything from a bowl I could leave food down for him all day and he would go and sniff but wouldnt eat it. He get all his food either from rewards for playing games, scatter feeding so he hunts for it or stuffed hooves, lick mats etc. Some days he may only eat about a quarter of his daily food allowance hes just not into food. Vet says he's perfect weight for height etc so dont worry about it. If hes eating and not losing weight hes fine.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"