Useful information for puppy seekers

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Useful information for puppy seekers

Post by zeta1454 »

Over the last year, the Kennel Club has revamped its website and, although there have been a number of teething problems and ongoing issues in some areas, the information now available for new puppy seekers on the site is well worth checking out. Information on how to find a good breeder and the questions you should be asking them, the paperwork you should be given and what you should be looking for when you visit the breeder to see Mum and pups. There are also links to highlight what health tests you should expect to have been carried out depending on which breed you are looking for and how to find out which tests have been carried out on the parent dogs yourself via the KC’s Health Tests Results Finder.

The Kennel Club does provide an excellent online resource here for puppy seekers to research for themselves in one place, information about breeders, dogs and much more as regards introducing a new puppy into your family. Especially for those new to dog ownership but even for more experienced dog owners, there is plenty to look through in an easily accessible way. Often puppy seekers are unsure what questions they should be asking a breeder; which health tests may be relevant; what information should be given to them by the breeder and how to find out more about the parent dogs beyond the details provided by the breeder or how to confirm the details independently but all these can be found here.

I would really recommend anyone thinking of introducing a puppy into their family to spend some time looking through the information on each of the links. Although I know that some forum members are not U.K. based, it could still be helpful on a number of issues faced by puppy seekers nowadays:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/gettin ... ing-a-dog/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Amanda21
Puppy
First Name: Amanda

Re: Useful information for puppy seekers

Post by Amanda21 »

Hi Zeta,

Thanks for the very useful link and information as I'm in the middle of the process of getting my first puppy. I've only just registered, but I've been lurking for quite some time 🥸 and find this forum invaluable for all the topics discussed.

I do have one query though, it's to do with the '4 weeks free insurance ' you tend to get offered from breeders. I was talking with my neighbour about this, they said it's best to get your own insurance starting before you pick up your puppy. This is because the free insurance doesn't cover everything, especially if the worst happens on your journey home. Has anyone else come across this?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum, Amanda :)

I am glad you have found useful topics here. As regards the free insurance cover, it may depend on the company which the breeder uses and possibly worth checking that out beforehand so you could confirm with the insurance company direct as to any exceptions to cover. As a breeder, in the past we have offered puppy buyers free cover via Petplan and the Kennel Club and I am not aware of any particular exemptions with these compared to their paid-for cover (dependent on the plan you choose possibly?) ~
Petplan say on their website:

If you've adopted a pet from a rehoming centre, purchased a pet through a breeder or recently visited a vet and shown an interest in pet insurance cover, you may have been introduced to 4 weeks free Petplan insurance. This is free insurance with no catch. If your pet falls ill or becomes injured, you can claim to help cover the cost of veterinary bills. There is no need to provide your bank details; the policy automatically expires after 4 weeks and there is no obligation to buy a full, paid-for policy.”

The Kennel Club website for breeders states:

“ Provide your litter with the vital insurance cover they need for the first 5 weeks in their new homes with free insurance. This gives you peace of mind knowing that your litters will be protected during those vulnerable first weeks.
The new owners of your puppies can then continue their free puppy insurance into one of our lifetime policies. Also, any new conditions diagnosed during those 5 weeks will continue to be covered for as long as the policy remains active. (However, please note, any pre-existing conditions present before the free cover was activated, will not be covered).”

I would not have thought it helpful to start insurance from before you have the puppy as this will lose you days on the policy and I can only think that your neighbour is thinking of a traffic accident as regards something happening on the journey home. Breeders who offer the 4/ 5 weeks free insurance will activate it to start on the day the new puppy owners are collecting the puppy so you would be covered from the moment you collect the puppy, and you do not need to activate it yourself as this is already done for you unless you decide to continue with that company.

However, just for your peace of mind, I would ask the breeder you are getting your puppy from which insurance company they are offering the free 4/5 weeks cover from and give the company a call beforehand to check direct with them if there is any accident / event not covered in the free period.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Amanda21
Puppy
First Name: Amanda

Post by Amanda21 »

Thanks for coming back to me with such a detailed response, I did think it was a bit strange to start an insurance before picking up so this has made it all a bit clearer! Insurance is a bit like pensions, confusing!

I'll definitely check with the breeder which provider he goes with, my puppy won't be ready for collection till January so I have some time to go yet.