Puppy color

The Schnauzer puppy stage goes by so quickly, so make sure you get lots of pictures and make sure that you share them with the rest of us. Bristle noses, floppy ears and wagging tails are all welcome.
lucasty1987
First Name: Lucas

Puppy color

Post by lucasty1987 »

6 day old mini. Body is completely black, so are ears and head. The only markings are on the legs and around the booty. Mom is black, dad is S/P. Both carry for B/S, but I wasn't anticipating one honestly. Is there a chance she is just a dark S/p?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Puppy color

Post by zeta1454 »

If both parents carry the gene for B&S there is always the possibility of at least one puppy being that colouring although you can also have a litter from the same parents with no B&S. The only ‘true’ Black and Silver minis are from B&S parents so it is hard to predict with a random puppy of this colouring from non B&S parents how strong the colour will be as the puppy matures.

Any pale colouring on the ears at this early stage would usually indicate a P&S puppy so if her coat is solid black and the ears too then she is more likely to be B&S.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Puppy color

Post by Schnauzerluv »

My B&S pup was very dark as a wee pup, his parents are both black with 1 B&S gene each. His eyebrows were hardly noticeable as a dark brown color. I would also guess if the back of the ears are pure black, he us likely B&S. There's a certain amount of silver allowed on pure black, but it's usually the chest.

Btw my pup is now 1YO and he brightened up nicely.