getting cat crate/carrier ready for puppy

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Filvinci
Puppy
First Name: dani
is a: Black Mini Bitch

getting cat crate/carrier ready for puppy

Post by Filvinci »

hello
i joined a few months ago when we were looking for mini schnauzer
finally, we've found a little puppy girl , she will be ready to come home next month
i am making an inventory of things we need, as opposed to what we already have in the house

we have a 4 year old female cat
We plan to introduce the little puppy very gradually to the cat by keeping them initially in separate
However i would like to make use of some of the unused cat things for the puppy
do you have any suggestion on a good method to remove the cat scent from cushions and crates for re-use.
I don't want to shock the puppy . i don't think there are cats where she lives now

For example, we have this really good crate
It doesn't show in the picture but the top part can be removed and the bottom can be used as a pet carrier as it has a handle and a door.
I was thinking that i could maybe use it for the puppy as it is very under used at the moment.

Our cat never liked enclosed places and never used the crate. we kept her toys in there including catnip ones.
for a couple of years we gave massages and combed the cat on top of the crate. Today she uses daily but only as step to jump to a higher shelf where she gets treats and looks out of the window

Has any of you ever recycled a cat item like this for use by a puppy?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: getting cat crate/carrier ready for puppy

Post by Dawnspell »

I wouldn't be too concerned just wash any fabrics and give the plastic a good wash. To your pup your whole house is going to smell of cat. It's just a new odour she'll be encountering on coming home.

I would move it somewhere different though so the cat can't use it as a jumping platform. You want it to be a quiet settling place for your pup not where she will get disturbed.
Any photos yet?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Filvinci
Puppy
First Name: dani
is a: Black Mini Bitch

Post by Filvinci »

thank you for your reply.
yes absolutely, when we get the puppy, i'll wash the crate, place it in a sitting room and not allow the cat in that part of the house

I was also thinking of recycling other toys that she basically never used, including a rolling tube for slow feeding and various other puppets

The only photo i have is in my avatar.

we get updates every few days from the breeder but nothing so far that allowed me to extract a good pic

When i get a better solo pic of our mini girl i will surely post it
Last edited by Filvinci on 12 Sep 2021, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Some breeders are annoying like that not enough pictures =))

See whether you have a toy destroyer first for any soft toys. I doubt cat toys are made as tough as dog toys. The slow feeder will be fine. I got a small treat dispensing ball intended for rabbits for Jasper as a pup it was fine.

Catnip smell won't be a problem it's actually one of the scents used when training a dog scent work.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"