White Giant Schnauzers do they exist?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Polar
First Name: Polaris

White Giant Schnauzers do they exist?

Post by Polar »

Do white giant schnauzers exist? Does anyone know if there are anyone who breeds this kind of dog, please let me know. I’m trying to find a white giant schnauzer puppy. 🙏 Also if anyone knows the price range of them.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: White Giant Schnauzers do they exist?

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

From your question, I guess you are new to the schnauzer breed and specifically to Giant Schnauzers. If you are attracted to the Giant Schnauzer as a breed you would like to own, do research everything you can about their temperament, characteristics, potential health issues, etc. first and foremost. With any breed of dog, colour should be a low priority compared to these factors. There are some links here with more information re the breed from the US and U.K. Kennel Clubs:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search ... schnauzer/

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/giant-schnauzer/

I would recommend you join a schnauzer breed club too and get to know others who are passionate about the breed and who may be able to help you find a good quality breeder. It is so important when you are looking for a puppy of a particular breed that you find the best breeder you can who is knowledgeable about the breed, carries out the relevant health tests, and who can advise and support you throughout the lifetime of the dog you get from them.

White is not a common colour altogether in dog breeds as it does relate to a lack of pigment which can increase the likelihood of certain health conditions such as deafness and skin cancer. I have not come across any white giant or standard schnauzers in my involvement with the schnauzer breeds through clubs and shows over the past 25 years here in the U.K. It is not a breed standard colour in Europe, the USA or the U.K. which does not mean there are not breeders who may be breeding this colour but it makes it extremely unlikely that you are going to find a good quality breeder for white GS. The problem with anyone looking for a non-standard colour dog of any breed is that, unless the colour has accidentally occurred from a mating of two breed standard dogs, those deliberately breeding for non-standard colours are most likely to be doing so for the financial profit of selling a ‘rare’ or ‘unusual’ colouring which means health issues and health testing as well as general on-going support for puppy buyers may well be ignored. The health tests you are looking for as regards Giant Schnauzers are:

Eye screening scheme
Hip dysplasia screening scheme
Eye screening scheme litter screening
Also you will want to check the inbreeding of the parent dogs as the more in-bred they are the greater the risk of health problems occurring.

There is nothing wrong with liking a particular colour in a dog but, if you are looking for a white dog, I would search for those breeds where light or white coats are the standard or check out the rescue shelters in your locality :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: White Giant Schnauzers do they exist?

Post by Dawnspell »

I know a came across a breeder claiming to breed white giant schnauzers (think it was on facebook). They certainly looked like a giant however it would be interesting to see the make up if a DNA test was done on one of these dogs.

Giants are a mix of Bouvier de flandes, German Pincher and interstingly black great dane, standard schnauzer and maybe doberman. None of these other than the great dane (which black was used) come in white. So the chances of a white naturally popping up in a litter as in the minis is very unlikely, unless some other breed has been introduced that carries the white gen
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"