toilet training

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
katieb
Puppy
First Name: Kathy
Dog #1: Gracie
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Jun 2021

toilet training

Post by katieb »

Hi All

Well Gracie our now nearly 10 week old pup is a little darling. My question is how long before we stop having 'little accidents' in the house - we take her out as advised - after waking, play , food & lots in between but still having accidents in the house & not on the pads ( fortunately just wees). Are we doing something wrong? I have seen some sites saying that puppy should be house trained within 2 weeks !! She is clean in her crate at night & sleeping through so far so that's a big bonus. Any advice very welcome, many thanks :)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: toilet training

Post by zeta1454 »

There really is no exact age at which a puppy is house trained and much will depend on early experiences at the breeder’s and just individual temperament. We have bred puppies that have been house trained when they left us at 8 weeks old and others that have taken much longer to be relied on to ask to go out or to wait until they do go outside.

However, as well as taking a puppy into the garden very regularly and watching for signs that she may need to go (such as circling, searching around, going to the door), you do need to be sure that when you are not engaging with Gracie or she is in her crate, that she is confined in a play pen or sectioned off small area in the kitchen or other safe place. The smaller the space she is in, the less likely she is to pee and the easier it will be to keep the area clean if she does toilet there. Whatever cleaner you use to clean where she has peed the likelihood is that she will still smell the scent and may well pee there again so you do want to be sure that she doesn’t get into a habit from smelling her previous pee sites.

If she is holding on all night, it would suggest that she does have bladder control so it is just a question of being hyper-vigilant for a week or two to try and prevent any possibility of her pee-ing in the house. Don’t shout at her or make any negative reaction that may startle her if she does have an accident but always praise when she goes in the garden. She is still young at 10 weeks and learning about her new home and I am sure she will not take too long to be housetrained reliably.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
katieb
Puppy

Post by katieb »

Thanks Zeta - doing all as u advise - just haven't confined her too much around house - just try to keep an eye & have pads placed by doors. She is really good 90% of the time so just perseverance I guess xxxxx
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I know this doesn't help now since you've already used pads, but sometimes they confuse the pup, like you can go indoors, you can't. They don't always make the connection to potty on the pads. And if they do they could also look at a carpet or bedding like it's a pee pad.

So I would ditch the pads now and just take her out every 45 minutes or so. If she doesn't potty in about 5 minutes, return her inside but WATCH her like a hawk! Try your absolute best not to give her a chance to potty indoors.

I haven't had a ton of training experience, but usually when you're consistent with this it doesn't take long especially for a smart schnauzer to understand.

Oh yes and use an enzymic cleaner for cleanup so any odour (your pup can smell 100 times better than us and can detect residual urine scents) is destroyed.
katieb
Puppy

Post by katieb »

Thanks Kat, useful & to be honest the pads are down but she rarely uses them. We are being extra mindful to take her out & trying to recognise the signs. Yes we have a special pet cleaner too :-)
Frederickdawg
First Name: Freddy
Dog #1: Tobias
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 07 Jul 2021

Post by Frederickdawg »

We immediately take Tobias out after each meal, playtime, nap time and exercise. And also max every two hours or so. Lol.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

My boy went all night from his first night home with us, he was 8 weeks. take out to the garden every hour & especially after being fed & when they wake up. only had 6 accidents mainly when he was left with my other half when I went out. we were lucky that he was house trained within a couple of weeks but they are all different just been lucky with my boy as with previous girl she took longer.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl