Kibble condundrum!

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Lindz
Puppy
First Name: Lyndsey
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1-2021

Kibble condundrum!

Post by Lindz »

Hello,
We want to move our six-and-a half-month boy off Royal Canin Mini Puppy. I have gone cross-eyed on allaboutdogfood comparing the endless choices.
RCMP and the RC Mini Schnauzer are so low rated.

He's a tall male, weighing 8.3kg, but is not overweight even though he has a Labrador appetite ( I can't imagine dropping the midday meal! He would be horrified!)

When changing food, we want to avoid the risk of pancreatitis. What amount of protein and fat (dry weight) in kibble do people suggest?

I would also appreciate thoughts on the many kibble options!

Friends give their minis Symply. There is a puppy version to ten months and then adult ones.
Also looking at Gentle which is cold pressed.
(Raw would not work for us).

Thank you!!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Kibble condundrum!

Post by Dawnspell »

I have a fussy boy who gets a variety of foods, he doesn't have any digestive issues so is ok with this type of diet. Some dogs can only tolerate one type of food hence the guides for gradual changing of foods.

These are ones we alternate through. He likes natures variety freeze dried raw complete, these are dry nuggets an alternative to raw, ziwi peak which I can use as a treat, platinum semi moist this is also usable as treat, acana, attu, home cooked. I contacted Eden for samples of their semi moist, for £5 to cover postage I got 9 sample bags. He likes this one too.

I've tried a couple of cold pressed and he wasn't that keen but he is fussy so your "lab" would probably be ok.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I've been feeding my pup Acana since we got him after the initial change over from RC. Now he just turned 1YO, he is eating Acana Regionals and we switch up the protein formula with each new bag. The only thing I'll say is I feed him less than recommended since the food is so rich in nutrient, he doesn't need very much and doesn't ask for more. I feed him the amount for a less active 22lb dog even though he's 20lbs.

With these foods, you don't need to feed a much, so it works out costing less.

I'm the same, I can't do raw. Yet.

I didn't think Ozzy would give up his lunch meal either, but with more at breakfast it was fazed out no problem. It all kind of worked out when he was switched to adult or all life stages (about 7.5 months).
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I couldn’t advise re kibble - dry extruded food is the ultra high processed section of the dog food market and, as with the UHP food in humans, is implicated in many health issues. There are a couple of links here re pancreatitis in dogs if that is a particular worry:

https://dogsfirst.ie/health-issues/caus ... s-in-dogs/

https://www.petplusvet.com/3546/can-kib ... creatitis/

However, if you don’t want to feed a species appropriate raw diet, it would be best to go for the least processed diet possible - home cooked, or a brand such as Butternut Box which is also cooked but at a reasonable temperature to retain more of the nutrients in a digestible form than extruded dry food and which has better quality ingredients:

https://butternutbox.com/how_it_works

If you are in the U.K. there are a huge range of companies now offering better choice and higher quality dog food in many forms (raw, cooked, dried, cold pressed, wet and tinned etc. ) rather than the poor quality of extruded dry kibble brands. When checking out dog food of any kind, look for ingredients you understand without a dictionary and for few or no artificial colours, flavours or additives as a start and those with a very high meat/fish percentage and a minimum of vegetables / fruit whichever type of food you choose but, from my experience and perspective, raw is best for dogs :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lindz
Puppy

Post by Lindz »

Dawnspell wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:07 I have a fussy boy who gets a variety of foods, he doesn't have any digestive issues so is ok with this type of diet. Some dogs can only tolerate one type of food hence the guides for gradual changing of foods.

These are ones we alternate through. He likes natures variety freeze dried raw complete, these are dry nuggets an alternative to raw, ziwi peak which I can use as a treat, platinum semi moist this is also usable as treat, acana, attu, home cooked. I contacted Eden for samples of their semi moist, for £5 to cover postage I got 9 sample bags. He likes this one too.

I've tried a couple of cold pressed and he wasn't that keen but he is fussy so your "lab" would probably be ok.
Thanks so much for listing all your boy's options! I will have a look at these too. Cold pressed seems to mean small portions which I don't think he would be impressed by!
Lindz
Puppy

Post by Lindz »

zeta1454 wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 19:55 I couldn’t advise re kibble - dry extruded food is the ultra high processed section of the dog food market and, as with the UHP food in humans, is implicated in many health issues. There are a couple of links here re pancreatitis in dogs if that is a particular worry:

However, if you don’t want to feed a species appropriate raw diet, it would be best to go for the least processed diet possible - home cooked, or a brand such as Butternut Box which is also cooked but at a reasonable temperature to retain more of the nutrients in a digestible form than extruded dry food and which has better quality ingredients:

If you are in the U.K. there are a huge range of companies now offering better choice and higher quality dog food in many forms (raw, cooked, dried, cold pressed, wet and tinned etc. ) rather than the poor quality of extruded dry kibble brands. When checking out dog food of any kind, look for ingredients you understand without a dictionary and for few or no artificial colours, flavours or additives as a start and those with a very high meat/fish percentage and a minimum of vegetables / fruit whichever type of food you choose but, from my experience and perspective, raw is best for dogs :)
I feel like a bad person for not feeding raw! But it just wouldn't be practical for us. A few friends use Butternut Box (for different breeds) so that may be the best option for him. Thank you for the links and advice.
Lindz
Puppy

Post by Lindz »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 17:41 I've been feeding my pup Acana since we got him after the initial change over from RC. Now he just turned 1YO, he is eating Acana Regionals and we switch up the protein formula with each new bag. The only thing I'll say is I feed him less than recommended since the food is so rich in nutrient, he doesn't need very much and doesn't ask for more. I feed him the amount for a less active 22lb dog even though he's 20lbs.

With these foods, you don't need to feed a much, so it works out costing less.

I'm the same, I can't do raw. Yet.

I didn't think Ozzy would give up his lunch meal either, but with more at breakfast it was fazed out no problem. It all kind of worked out when he was switched to adult or all life stages (about 7.5 months).
Good to know about lunch! So did Ozzy go down to two meals at 7.5 months at the same time as switching foods? He has 150g at the moment - how did you go about fazing out the lunch, amount-wise? I can just see his 'is that it?' face if I gave him less!
Lindz
Puppy

Re: Kibble conundrum!

Post by Lindz »

Conundrum...
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Lindz wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 12:31
Dawnspell wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:07 I have a fussy boy who gets a variety of foods, he doesn't have any digestive issues so is ok with this type of diet. Some dogs can only tolerate one type of food hence the guides for gradual changing of foods.

Thanks so much for listing all your boy's options! I will have a look at these too. Cold pressed seems to mean small portions which I don't think he would be impressed by!
Its smaller portions because it is higher quality protein than the Royal canin food so you need less. The protein would give him the feeling full. With the Royal canin its lower quality protein and then it is mixed with poor filler foods to boost up the calories and make the dog feel full. Have you heard the saying " Go to work on an egg" ? They're full of high quality protein that keeps you feeling fuller for longer, same with higher quality dog food.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Lindz wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 12:38
zeta1454 wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 19:55 I couldn’t advise re kibble - dry extruded food is the ultra high processed section of the dog food market and, as with the UHP food in humans, is implicated in many health issues. There are a couple of links here re pancreatitis in dogs if that is a particular worry:

I feel like a bad person for not feeding raw! But it just wouldn't be practical for us. A few friends use Butternut Box (for different breeds) so that may be the best option for him. Thank you for the links and advice.
Please don’t feel bad about not feeding raw. I am always enthusiastic about raw feeding but realise it’s not a choice for all. Hope you can find a food that works well for you and your pup. Lots of good suggestions from others too :)

Lindz
Puppy

Post by Lindz »

zeta1454 wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 16:33
Lindz wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 12:38

Please don’t feel bad about not feeding raw. I am always enthusiastic about raw feeding but realise it’s not a choice for all. Hope you can find a food that works well for you and your pup. Lots of good suggestions from others too :)
Thanks! Butternut Box is ordered. One more question! Would you reduce to two meals now - he is nearly 7 months. Or keep going with three for a while longer? He was sick yesterday and once a week ago- undigested looking kibble and veg. The first time it was four hours after breakfast, the second time, a few hours after dinner. He has a slow feeder.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

It is hard to say for certain at that age as many puppies are fine to move to 2 meals after 6 months but you may have to give it a go and adjust back if he doesn’t cope well with two meals. I would also say that it can be tricky getting the right amount of food sometimes as often the manufacturers over estimate what is needed and dogs can begin to either refuse food or regurgitate it. Even related dogs in the same household can need different amounts, I know from experience, and it is often just a question of adjusting decisions over amounts and timing at this intermediate stage of development. Much easier once they are adult :)

Good luck with the Butternut Box and I hope it works well for your pup :o3

Lindz
Puppy

Post by Lindz »

zeta1454 wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 08:51 It is hard to say for certain at that age as many puppies are fine to move to 2 meals after 6 months but you may have to give it a go and adjust back if he doesn’t cope well with two meals. I would also say that it can be tricky getting the right amount of food sometimes as often the manufacturers over estimate what is needed and dogs can begin to either refuse food or regurgitate it. Even related dogs in the same household can need different amounts, I know from experience, and it is often just a question of adjusting decisions over amounts and timing at this intermediate stage of development. Much easier once they are adult :)

Good luck with the Butternut Box and I hope it works well for your pup :o3
Thank you! :)
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Lindz wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 12:45
Good to know about lunch! So did Ozzy go down to two meals at 7.5 months at the same time as switching foods? He has 150g at the moment - how did you go about fazing out the lunch, amount-wise? I can just see his 'is that it?' face if I gave him less!
I think with a bigger breakfast and a Kong at lunch and a training session, he didn't notice. Idk my boy loves to eat but never really asks for it. We always play games at meal time anyway. At dinner time (evening) he just makes eye contact and looks all cute and you just know what time it is.

We have a few snuffle mats and food dispensing toys. Or sometimes we just do dance moves like weave between legs, catwalk, through the hoop, touch, scatterball. The last is a game where I throw a kibble and as he gets it, I'm moving in the opposite direction and saying "ok come". My pup comes to me and does a touch, I give him a 'yes' and throw a kibble in the direction I'm running now. Rinse and repeat. I like that one because it teaches him recall and also gets him moving.

Then there are DIY games like spreading kibble under a few tiers of towels for your pup to snuffle out. Or wrapping little piles in scrap fabric and rolling into a towel.

Or even hiding little piles around the room or house and playing hide and seek, just have him find them 'sniff sniff'.