Our beautiful Bertie

Saying goodbye to our Schnauzers is the hardest part. Share your memories here as we bid farewell to our beloved friends. They've crossed the bridge and returned to the meadow in full health and free of injuries. Running free. We won't forget.
Moustache_dog
First Name: Jennifer
Dog #1: Bertie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 May 2012
Dog #2: Casper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 07 Apr 2013
Dog #3: Mabel
Born: 20 Aug 2021
is a: White Mini Bitch

Our beautiful Bertie

Post by Moustache_dog »

I'm sorry it's been such a long time since I posted on here. Time has really flown by.

Our gorgeous Bertie B-ram went to the Rainbow Bridge this lunchtime. He only celebrated his ninth birthday last week and was absolutely fine this time yesterday. He was running around with his little brother Casper, having his usual lunch time tomato ends and enjoyed his midday walk. I'm in such shock that he's gone so quickly. Casper seems a little lost so I'm not sure how to help him either.

Bertie was sick at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon and seemed a bit floppy. He often does this so it was not a surprise but half an hour later he was all floppy so I called the vet. He had no other symptoms so it wasn't counted as an emergency so they booked him in this afternoon just to be safe. I was up every half an hour with him in the night as he'd drink water then bile would come up. he did seem brighter though but was not right this morning so we took him earlier to the vet as he was very lethargic. His x-rays found he had cancer in his stomach that has spread to his liver and kidneys. He had no symptoms or external lumps and there were no warning signs at his six monthly vet check ups. They did not expect him to last until tomorrow so my husband, daughter and I had a cuddle and we kept cuddling until he was asleep. We didn't want him to suffer. The vet said he was clearly very much loved and had a great life but it's no consolation.

I am absolutely heart broken.
Bertie B-ram - the biggest character, left far too soon (12/05/12 - 20/05/21),
Casper & Mabel - our little white maniacs
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Our beautiful Bertie

Post by zeta1454 »

Oh Jennifer I am so sorry to read that sad news. What a terrible shock and heartbreaking for your whole family.
Thinking of you and sending hugs :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Moustache_dog

Post by Moustache_dog »

zeta1454 wrote: 20 May 2021, 15:28 Oh Jennifer I am so sorry to read that sad news. What a terrible shock and heartbreaking for your whole family.
Thinking of you and sending hugs :ymhug:
Thank you for your kind words. It's really hard to take in and I just don't know what to do with myself. Everything reminds me of Bertie. He was such a huge, loveable personality. I'll just keep cuddling Casper. He's a little quiet today so I'm not sure how he's going to be.
Bean
Puppy
First Name: Joy
Dog #1: Tilly
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Jun 2020

Post by Bean »

Sorry to hear about Bertie. What a shock for you all. I’m not an expert but all I say is I know how you feel. I discovered this forum towards the end of 2019 when we lost our dear darling schnauzer, and thank goodness I did discover it as I cannot express enough how much the members helped me. Their kind and caring the comments were manna to me. I hope you feel some comfort too. It’s the most terrible time for you but everyone will be there for you, I know.
Moustache_dog

Post by Moustache_dog »

Thanks Joy. You’re absolutely right about the people on this forum. They are really kind and your own comments are very thoughtful and have made me feel a little better as I feel a bit less alone. We’re also really glad to have our other little schnauzer as the house doesn’t seem completely empty.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

What a shock for you all,its heartbreaking. Its a hard decision to make but it was the right one. Keep giving Casper cuddles poor little chap he must be feeling so lost just like you.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Oh Jennifer I am so so sorry to read your sad sad news, its devastating when we lose them especially Bertie he was taken so young, I know you will be heartbroken just like I was when I lost my Suzi in 2017 just 4 years ago, like you I was absolutely gutted I just couldn't stop crying, give Casper plenty of cuddles as he wont understand where Bertie has gone. I only had Suzi, so a big shock to me when she was was diagnosed with a Mass in her lung but her groomer told me about a litter that was due, to be honest I wasn't sure that I could have another but there was a huge huge gap in our house & I have her groomer to thank for insisting that I went for lunch with her & her friend Moira, Moira put me down for a girl but I wasn't sure but the decision was made when there was only one girl & she was keeping it so I said I would take a boy, I was given first choice from 5 boys & what a super wee boy I have, yes I felt so guilty having another but it was the best thing that I did as it certainly eased the pain that I was suffering, yes I still miss Suzi as she was my first but I have a lovely boy who is my Shadow & I'm sure he knows that I so need him in my life.

Take time to grieve if you need it, as its been a huge shock for you all, sending cuddles to you as I know you will be hurting so so much. give Casper lost of cuddles. Thinking about you at such a sad time for you all. We are all here for you as we know exactly how it feels to have had a Schnauzer in our life & then lose it.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh my, so sorry. That is absolutely heartbreaking and such a shock. Sending much love and hugs. RIP and run free little Bertie. xx
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Moustache_dog

Post by Moustache_dog »

Thank you Alison, Christine & Julie. It’s been a horrendous day because everything reminds me of Bertie. It’s just hard to comprehend how an apparently healthy dog with no symptoms was bouncing around, being his usual beautiful nuisance self, until 4pm on Wednesday. Then less than 24 hours later, he’s gone to sleep forever because he had less than a day to live. A really hard part of today was looking after my two and a half year old granddaughter because she loved Bert so much and kept asking when he was coming back.

I’m trying to remember the good times though. Every day with Bertie was hilarious and an absolute pleasure. Times such as Summer 2014 when we went on a schnauzer walk in Yorkshire and you’d come over to the mainland Alison. Bertie and Barney and another beautiful schnauzer ran and ran and ran. Your son had to run and rescue Bertie at one point as well because he’d ran so far ahead that he’d attached himself to other people!

Here he is just last week celebrating his ninth birthday

It’s been so hard but I really appreciate your kind words. Casper didn’t cope well last night. He’s never been without Bertie overnight. We played lots of scent games and he’s been out for lots of walks and a drive. He seems a bit better. I suppose it’s every day at a time for all of us.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I'd forgotten all about that, oh yes happy memories of both Bertie and Barney. Barney will be a familiar face for him to run with over the rainbow bridge. Made myself cry now thinking of them both :((

Found the post and it mentions the 3 B's Barney, Bertie and Buster running together pg5. Unfortunately my photobucket pictures have gone from the post
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19208&start=75
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Moustache_dog

Post by Moustache_dog »

Dawnspell wrote: 21 May 2021, 18:31 I'd forgotten all about that, oh yes happy memories of both Bertie and Barney. Barney will be a familiar face for him to run with over the rainbow bridge. Made myself cry now thinking of them both :((

Found the post and it mentions the 3 B's Barney, Bertie and Buster running together pg5. Unfortunately my photobucket pictures have gone from the post
I’m sorry I made you feel sad. It was such a lovely day though. Typical Bertie to be a maniac x
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Moustache_dog wrote: 21 May 2021, 19:53
Dawnspell wrote: 21 May 2021, 18:31 I'd forgotten all about that, oh yes happy memories of both Bertie and Barney. Barney will be a familiar face for him to run with over the rainbow bridge. Made myself cry now thinking of them both :((

I’m sorry I made you feel sad. It was such a lovely day though. Typical Bertie to be a maniac x
No it's not you that's made me sad. Sometimes you remember the happy times you had with them, then it hits you that you haven't got them anymore. It's all part of the grieving process.
Our first family dog
Moustache_dog

Post by Moustache_dog »

Dawnspell wrote: 21 May 2021, 20:10
Moustache_dog wrote: 21 May 2021, 19:53

No it's not you that's made me sad. Sometimes you remember the happy times you had with them, then it hits you that you haven't got them anymore. It's all part of the grieving process.
I'm glad I didn't upset you. Barney was a lovely dog. We only met him once but will always remember him running with Bertie and Buster :x