When to start hand stripping?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy
First Name: Vivian
Dog #1: Limuh
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Nov 2020

When to start hand stripping?

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Hi guys,

My puppy will be 4month soon and I would like to know when to start hand stripping. I've watched some youtube clips and I think I might want to start with hand stripping and see if it works for us before using clippers. Although it looks not too difficult to me, do you need some kinds of proper training before trying out in the house?

I've found Groomer.Dk online shop for tools and videos(they demonstrate hand stripping schnauzers on fb) Do you guys know this brand? Are they good tools to use for hand stripping? I don't even know what tools I should get.

Is scissors necessary to buy on top of these tools? What types/shapes of scissors do I need? Any ideas what else to get?

Sorry about asking so many questions, I know there are many posts on hand stripping and I've been reading but as I read, I don't know more about it. :((
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: When to start hand stripping?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi, you can start by regularly carding the coat every few days until the hair is ready to be pulled. I used to just check every now and again by gentle pulling on the longer hair. When it comes away easily then it is ready for stripping. I use the Groomer DK tools, both the rainbow range stripping knives, the 2 in 1 coat king which does not cut hair and I have just sent for one of their diamond stripping tools. I love them. Their videos are excellent too. You definitely need scissors, a 6 inch curved pair for trimming round paws are good, a good pair of thinning scissors again 6 in, for thinning and sculpting hair, between eyes and blending clipped and stripped parts of the coat. A pair of small blunt ended scissors are good for areas where you don't want to catch the blades like inside ears and then clippers of course, to clip cheeks, head (I don't strip head or ears), ears, bottom, paw pads etc. Keep following the videos, there is some fantastic help out there.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

At 4 months the coat should start coming out easy

Have a read through Kats thread theres loads of info in there.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25105

Julie I'd be interested to hear what the diamond stripping knife is like. Which have you ordered ? I looked at them as I was thinking of getting new knife but needed some new curved and thinning scissors more :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Fantastic Jullie& Alison!! I will go ahead order tools. I love their videos too, I feel so satisfied when I watch them hand stripping lol.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hi Vivian! So exciting you are giving hand stripping a shot! I have to say, the process is a lot more cut and dry now that Ozzy's coat is more mature. He now has a mix of wire and puppy coat. The wire hairs come out so easily when they are ready, I barely have to pull at all. I actually did a big hand strip session today (actually a few), just plucked the longest hairs as he was going about his day, watching the birds and squirrels, chewing his bone, whatever. It's impressive what a difference a little hand stripping session can make. It looks so much neater and lies so nicely. He doesn't mind me pulling hairs at all now and generally doesn't even feel it as long as I don't pull too many at a time. (just to let you know). I think he might actually like it haha.

I bought a couple Mars stripping knives (which are similar to the others suggested) and I use them to comb through the furnishings and card the jacket. I just use my fingers to do the hand stripping, but I've been told it's much easier with a knife. Just never knew the art of carding and getting rid of all that undercoat and dead hair. It's amazing how much hair I get out every few days and how much of a difference it makes to keep matts out and the overall look of the jacket. Wish I knew about it a long time ago.

I don't have a rake yet, only a very course dematting comb and a regular rotating SS tooth comb.

So my advice, card, card, card. Ozzy loves to be carded and combed, I'm sure Limuh will love it too. I started with treats and very short sessions, but now it's no big deal and he accepts it as something that just has to be done.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Schnauzerluv wrote: โ†‘22 Mar 2021, 03:20 Hi Vivian! So exciting you are giving hand stripping a shot! I have to say, the process is a lot more cut and dry now that Ozzy's coat is more mature. He now has a mix of wire and puppy coat. The wire hairs come out so easily when they are ready, I barely have to pull at all. I actually did a big hand strip session today (actually a few), just plucked the longest hairs as he was going about his day, watching the birds and squirrels, chewing his bone, whatever. It's impressive what a difference a little hand stripping session can make. It looks so much neater and lies so nicely. He doesn't mind me pulling hairs at all now and generally doesn't even feel it as long as I don't pull too many at a time. (just to let you know). I think he might actually like it haha.

I bought a couple Mars stripping knives (which are similar to the others suggested) and I use them to comb through the furnishings and card the jacket. I just use my fingers to do the hand stripping, but I've been told it's much easier with a knife. Just never knew the art of carding and getting rid of all that undercoat and dead hair. It's amazing how much hair I get out every few days and how much of a difference it makes to keep matts out and the overall look of the jacket. Wish I knew about it a long time ago.

I don't have a rake yet, only a very course dematting comb and a regular rotating SS tooth comb.

So my advice, card, card, card. Ozzy loves to be carded and combed, I'm sure Limuh will love it too. I started with treats and very short sessions, but now it's no big deal and he accepts it as something that just has to be done.
Hi Kat,

This whole time I thought carding is same as stripping with knife. I've watched some videos and realised they are different and actually carding looks a lot easier for me. Carding is almost like combing and stripping is more like plucking to me, am I correct? Do they require different knives?

Here is my question, is it okay to maintain their hair only with carding and some cutting with scissors without stripping or clipping? I am getting confused here if carding would do the most part of it or it just helps a little part of the whole grooming.

Another problem is, I've watched some youtube videos of carding and stripping, but they already had their dogs with short hair to start off which looks easier to follow. On the other hands, I have my puppy with long, fluffy hair and I am not sure how to even start off from. Is there any video out there showing how to do it from a puppy with long hair?
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hi Vivian, if I'm doing it correctly, I comb through (card) the jacket (and furnishings a bit) with the stripping knives. When I pluck the hairs, I just use my fingers. That's how I do it, you would find what works best for yourself and Limuh.

Again, if I'm doing it correctly, I strip (pluck) the longest hairs. I fluff the hairs up and pull the longest hairs sticking up in the direction I want them go grow in.

I know what you mean about being intimidated by the puppy fluff. There's so much of it and it all looks a similar length. But I just plucked little hairs a little tiny bit at a time. Before you know it, you have shortened the jacket quite a bit. If you want it shorter, you would keep going-plucking the longest hairs until the jacket is the length you want it at. That's what I'm doing right now for the spring, it takes days/weeks, but it's already much better and he'll be more ready for the warmer weather.

I think you could just card and scissor (or just card)? Cutting the hair only cuts it off, it doesn't grow new, so becomes duller. The undercoat essentially takes over. But in the beginning, carding is the no1 process on a puppy, it clears the undercoat for new wire hair to grow in. It's only the jacket that is hand stripped, the rest is scissored. I think Alison might leave the jacket and furnishings longer in the winter on Jasper, I think she uses a rake to comb out the dead undercoat (which Jasper never had much of). The result is longer hair that sits nice and flat and doesn't matt up like clippered hair.

I hope what I wrote is understandable, I want to help you with this, so if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate, I will do my best to answer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

UrbanGypsyViv wrote: โ†‘30 Mar 2021, 09:45
Here is my question, is it okay to maintain their hair only with carding and some cutting with scissors without stripping or clipping? I am getting confused here if carding would do the most part of it or it just helps a little part of the whole grooming.

Another problem is, I've watched some youtube videos of carding and stripping, but they already had their dogs with short hair to start off which looks easier to follow. On the other hands, I have my puppy with long, fluffy hair and I am not sure how to even start off from. Is there any video out there showing how to do it from a puppy with long hair?

Carding alone wont keep the coat short its purpose is really to remove undercoat. If the wire hair has "blown" ( the point at which the hair will grow no longer and dies) then some may come out with carding but your talking about wire hair that is probably a couple of inches long when its blown. Cutting the wire hair in anyway is basically clipping the coat not stripping.

Yes you can use the same knife for carding and stripping, but you use the other side of the knife for carding. I'll try to explain. Say you've got the dog standing but facing away from you, you would strip using your right hand with the hand movement coming towards you as you pull out the hairs. If carding using the same knife you would have the dog standing with its nose towards you the knife in your right hand again but you would card away from you going with the natural lay of the coat so in effect using the opposite side of the knife. You dont have to have the dog positioned like this I was just trying to explain the opposite side of the knife. Or of course you can strip with your right hand and card with your left if keeping the dog facing away from you.

Theres probably not many videos of puppies being stripped as they wont be standing for grooming like an adult dog in the videos. Its a case of just doing a few minutes at a time to build up the process.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Here's a thread I read a while ago about "carding" using a coat king only

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24924
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Dawnspell wrote: โ†‘31 Mar 2021, 10:11 Yes you can use the same knife for carding and stripping, but you use the other side of the knife for carding.
Ooooooohhh :-s glad I read that! This whole time I was using the wrong side for carding....
Maybe I'll order a "lefty" stripping knife for carding.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Thanks a lot guys, this is very very very helpful!! ๐Ÿ˜€
A lot to take in all at the same time, but it slowly coming in. I should do one at a time with carding, scissoring, hand stripping and clipping lol
Have a good weekend all!
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Oops double post
Last edited by Schnauzerluv on 16 Apr 2021, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hey Vivian, I just received the Andis tool and it's awesome! I definitely recommend a comb like this for carding. I got soooooooo much undercoat out in the 1st evening I used it. I just can't believe how much I was missing and it makes a huge difference to allow the air to the skin through the wire. I think he'll be a lot cooler once it warms up again.

How are you getting on?

UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Hi Kat,

It is a lot what you got there in the photo, very nice!!
Honestly, I didn't have any time to manage this yet. The lock down just finished in my area and my child just started going back to school from yesterday. I will surely have some time to order and try carding soon. But first, I would like to send Limuh to get groomed. His hair is out of control that I think it might be easier when he is already clean and trimmed some parts.

Can you clarify if these parts are for clipping only? And please add if I miss any parts.
-cheeks, throat, under belly and the bottom

Thanks in advance!!
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Most people clip ears as well as above and the inside of the thighs.

If you are going to hand strip its easier to pull the wire hair out before bathing. Once clean the hair is smooth so you dont get as good a grip and it can slip. Also a stripped jacket doesnt need washing as often as a clipped jacket the dirt drops off. Jasper got black soot spots all over his back when we had the flue swept last week, he was being nosey as usual =)) I didnt wash him it was all gone by the next day.
Our first family dog