Curious as to what this is...

Need help using the forum. Then please ask here. We will be along shortly to give assistance about using the forum or questions about any of the features.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to ask questions about using the forum. Any specific issues relating to your dog can be raised in the appropriate section. All the advice will work on a desktop PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unless specified, it has not been tested on tablets or smartphones.
Cfenwick1
First Name: Catherine

Curious as to what this is...

Post by Cfenwick1 »

We have just noticed our lil man has a patch of fur missing on his back. His fur has just started to grow back after his groom but not in that particular spot. I posted it on a fb schnauzer forum who has said its his 'adult coat'. One said it could be allergies. Has any schnauzer owners had something similar? We are visiting the vet in 3 days - just thought I'd ask here before our visit as I cant seem to find anything to reference online. TIA.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Curious as to what this is...

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and Welcome
What does it feel like compared to the surrounding coat ?
It indefinably looks like wire coat coming through. The reason I say this is its darker in colour than surrounding coat and its very straight. If it is wire coat it will feel wiry / stiff. For it to be wire there must have been a lot of coat pulled out of that spot at one time for it to grow back in such a dense fashion. Was it a bald area?

If its same sort of texture as surrounding coat then I'd say hes just got a patch of different coloured fur.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I can't see any missing coat, I can only see areas of different colouring and a number of schnauzers I know of have had this.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Cfenwick1
First Name: Catherine

Post by Cfenwick1 »

Dawnspell wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 10:59 Hi and Welcome
What does it feel like compared to the surrounding coat ?
It indefinably looks like wire coat coming through. The reason I say this is its darker in colour than surrounding coat and its very straight. If it is wire coat it will feel wiry / stiff. For it to be wire there must have been a lot of coat pulled out of that spot at one time for it to grow back in such a dense fashion. Was it a bald area?

If its same sort of texture as surrounding coat then I'd say hes just got a patch of different coloured fur.

Thank you for the welcome and for the reply. It is quite wiry in texture. I've noticed there are 2 spots (one just below). The rest of his coat is still soft. He had his first full groom in November (however it was not his regular groomer). I dont know if the groomer has pulled more from those spots or whether it was always there but we never noticed because he was always just a ball of fluff prior to the grooming. I will definitely talk to the vet about it and maybe his regular groomer. I have no clue what to do but if its not hurting him or affecting him in any way then ill just let him be his usual happy self. He doesn't seem phased by it. Thank you again. Kind Regards. 😊