Potential owner advice

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Happiestbarghest
First Name: Cassidy

Potential owner advice

Post by Happiestbarghest »

Hello! My name is Cas and for the past few years I've been researching my next dog breed. I know these posts must get old, but I have a few questions about giant schnauzers that I have gotten wildly varying answers to. First, how common and severe would you say dog aggression is, in a well socialized dog of either gender? I've owned breeds before that are genetically predisposed to dog aggression (american bulldog, rottweiler). I work in a boarding center, and bring my dog to work about once a week for a few hours (would be willing to do this daily, but my current dog gets bored), so the dog would have plenty of supervised interaction, and an oppurtunity to be alone if they became overwhelmed. I plan to keep the GS intact until 2 years of age. I currently own a 9 year old female border collie mix who is very tolerant and friendly toward other dogs, what would you say the chance of aggression would be if I bought a female GS?
In addition, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far as breeders. I'm currently considering Classic, Firezone, or Skansen as potential sources. I'm leaning toward ******* as I know a few of their dogs have lure coursing and barnhunt titles, and I enjoy hunting hares with my current dog. My concern with ******** is I've heard many of their dogs show same sex aggression, and that doesn't seem like something they intend on breeding out. ********* is one of the closest breeders to me, so shipping a pup to Alaska hopefully wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and I've heard promising things about her dogs being nuetral towards other dogs and getting along well. Unfortunately, I've heard a few rumors of them producing a large amount of dogs every year, and low genetic diversity. ******** dogs seem pretty good looking, but haven't heard much about any sort of sports or other activities they do besides conformation.
Okay, I know I basicially wrote a novel there, but if you could skim a bit and provide some help I would be very grateful!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Potential owner advice

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Cas and welcome to the Forum :)

I have had to edit out the names of the breeders where you have made comments on their breeding as this is against Forum policy to make statements pro or anti any particular breeder / Kennel by name. I have left the three names you mention as you can get comments or recommendations on these specific kennels by private message only.

There are a number of points though in your post that anyone can help with advice and information in a general sense :)

Schnauzer Forum is mostly a UK based site although there are members from around the world including quite a few from the US. However, there are cultural and legal differences between the UK and other countries which may need to be taken into account. Specifically in the UK, hunting of wild mammals with dogs is illegal here, for example.

Looking at your question re dog aggression, personally I would say that any dog can be aggressive if mistreated, badly bred, in pain etc. and equally a dog of any breed can be of a gentle temperament if bred and raised to be so. Unfortunately certain breeds due to their natural strength or appearance have in some cases been deliberately bred for aggressive tendencies but, if you seek out a reputable and responsible breeder that should not be the case. Obviously the size and strength of certain breeds of dog combined with historic breed tendencies may need careful training by a new owner to avoid any potential problems. As regards the Giant Schnauzer, a good dog or bitch from a reputable breeder should not be aggressive. The UK Kennel Club describes the breed as:

The Giant Schnauzer was once known as the Munich Schnauzer as the breed was developed around Munich by cattle farmers who wanted a strong cattle drover. Using the standard Schnauzer as a foundation, the cattlemen added Rottweiler, Great Dane, sheepdogs and perhaps Bouvier to the mix and the result was the Giant Schnauzer, a breed with the strength, stamina and temperament to deal with wayward cattle. When train transportation for livestock was developed, the Giant Schnauzer turned its talents to guarding work in the cities where it has also been used as a police dog and as a tracking dog.

As said above, the GS is not a hunting dog but was used to drive cattle initially and later used by police and military in some countries to guard, protect and track. They are intelligent dogs and do need plenty of mental and physical exercise. There are GS owners in the UK who have same sex dogs and GS with mini schnauzers and a variety of different households with no problems so there is no reason why there should be any worries over aggressive tendencies, as long as you choose a breeder with good temperament dogs.

Basically my advice would be to find a breeder / Kennel which is experienced with Giant Schnauzers, who raises their dogs with care and knowledge of temperament and good health; carries out the relevant health screening of parent dogs (eye conditions, hip dysplasia and whatever other tests are advised or available in the US ) and can talk to you in depth about their breeding protocols, can advise about the breed as well as about their own dogs, who questions you as to your background with dogs and your hopes and expectations for a Giant Schnauzer puppy / dog fitting into your family and lifestyle. A good breeder should be able to assess whether one of their pups will fit into a particular family and should be able to support you in your choice of the breed or explain why the breed, or their particular kennel even, may not be the one for you.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
ChrisM72
Puppy
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Ziggy
is a: P/S Giant Dog
Born: 17 Apr 2019

Post by ChrisM72 »

Hi Cas,

We have a male P&S Giant, Ziggy, who is 16 months old. This is the second male Giant I've owned, but the first from puppy stage. Ziggy is brilliant with other dogs, both large and small, never aggressive and very sociable. Alfie was the same, whether this is co-incidence I don't know, as they are from the same lineage. If needed will neuter him when he turns two, as per breeders recommendation. Ziggy's got an immense personality and likes to interact with people a lot. Can be very insistent when he wants you to play with him, so he gets two long walks/runs a day. Fantastic guard dog. We love him to bits.

Jacksons_Pet
Puppy

Post by Jacksons_Pet »

Hi Cas, welcome!

I don't currently have a giant, lost my previous boy a few years ago and now have a scent hound but I pop in to the boards occasionally as there are fewer Giant owners on here than there used to be.

Giants are a very different kettle of fish to most working breeds, and I think it's worth exploring whether they are mentally a good fit for your home as much as anything else. They are not a 'yes' dog, and they don't respond well to coercive or hard handling. If they don't see the value in what you're asking, they simply won't do it.

Sporting bred dogs are highly intelligent, this doesn't necessarily translate to obedient!

They're not a naturally aggressive breed, but they have limits on behaviour they tolerate and very long memories! If for whatever reason you end up with a dog who is not tolerant of others it's something you are unlikely to retrain, and will end up requiring management instead.

As Zeta says they're not bred for hunting, and their drive to do so is not high. I'm not sure they'd be best suited for the sort of activity you seem interested in- they excel at sports which require real partnership with their human (obedience, tracking, schutzhund, bikejoring). They don't have much of a chase drive (except possibly with livestock, which has its own problems).

They're slow growing, slow to mentally mature and vulnerable to genetic problems. Make sure any breeders you're looking at have all their animals health tested and are aware/acknowledge the problems found in the breed. Run from any who have a blanket answer of 'they're very healthy and don't suffer from any problems'.

I adored my boy, but he had a bad experience as a puppy with some other dogs and was never relaxed about others in his space. 45kg of angry dog is not something to be taken lightly. They can be prone to resource guarding and are quite 'velcro' in their attachment to their person.

Try and meet several in person (challenging at the moment I know) before settling on them as the breed for you.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Thank you for the replies to this post from both Giant Schnauzer owners - it makes such a difference when people can speak from personal experience of the breed.

Really helpful comprehensive advice Jacksons_Pet and interesting to read your observations - thank you :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I do like reading these posts. I call them my dose of reality. I would absolutely love a Giant Schnauzer in the future but I think I have to stick to the 14 inch at the shoulder version. :))
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.