Recommendations for Carding/Stripping Tools

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
TXSchnauzerMom
First Name: Katie
Dog #1: Winson
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 29 Feb 2020

Recommendations for Carding/Stripping Tools

Post by TXSchnauzerMom »

Hello all!
Although I'm over in the US, this forum has been IMMENSELY helpful as my hubs and I raise our new mini schnauzer pup, Winston. We've been getting him used to grooming (rn with a regular metal comb and slicker brush) and after reading and considering the pros/cons of different grooming approaches we've decided to go go the stripping & carding route, and hopefully work up to rolling his coat. Winnie is also a P/S, so we'd like to preserve the integrity of his banded topcoat.

I'm admittedly a newbie at Schnauzer grooming. What specific tools would you recommend for carding? And could someone please describe proper carding technique? I've watched tons of youtube videos and read a bunch of these threads already, read thru the britmor schnauzer page, but specifically as it relates to carding there doesn't appear to be consensus in a few key areas: 1) Using a carding-specific carding vs. using a stripping knife; 2) What angle to hold the knife edge at - 45 degrees vs. flush/parallel to the dog, etc.?

Again, both my hubs and I are complete greenhorns when it comes to schnauzer grooming - but I'm a researcher by nature so I'm eager to learn as much as I can. Any advice, info, or suggestions would be most helpful as we start our grooming journey! TIA! :)
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Recommendations for Carding/Stripping Tools

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Katie, there are specific carding knives and also some carding rakes. Rakes are much easier to use and do remove undercoat quicker but they can cut some of the wire hair, Andis makes a good rake that they say doesn't cut the wire but it does cut some) Unless you are showing a schnauzer you might not mind that some of the hair is cut. You can't tell because it's only a few hairs. Carding knives take longer to remove undercoat. You literally comb through the coat but if you can imagine trying to comb the coat with the knife flat to the back, that is the right technique, the blades of the knife should not touch the skin. Some say to hold the skin/coat taught and then comb, I don't hold the coat taught as Otto doesn't like that. Also I recommend using rubber finger cots. Definitely when when using a stripping knife but also you sometimes notice after stripping there are a few stray long hairs and using finger cots is really easy. I actually use them for a lot of stripping around more difficult areas. There is a great video by Linda Forsythe which shows her stripping and clipping 2 of her minis. Very useful for a beginner.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Re: Recommendations for Carding/Stripping Tools

Post by RoseHunter »

I don't have my dog yet but my aunt who has had wheaton and lakeland terriers uses a coat king, key is getting the right one though. Says it's helps a lot in keeping their fluffy undercoats under control.