Night time wee

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
nessclair
First Name: Vanessa
Dog #1: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Sep 2010

Night time wee

Post by nessclair »

Now Monty is 8, we are finding that he needs a night time wee. When he was younger he didn’t need to go out at bedtime, but we had just a couple of puddles on the floor overnight so we started taking him out last thing at night for a wee. It’s been fine in the summer with light evenings, but now it is getting darker, colder and wetter, he is really reluctant to go out. We feel really mean dragging him out, but can’t think of any alternative...what do other people do about late night wees in the winter time??
Ness and Monty (S/P mini born 21.9.10 rehomed with me 13.8.11)
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Night time wee

Post by mikegoodson1 »

It's tricky isn't it? Oscar is nearly 3 but I know if he doesn't need to go out last thing at night, he can usually hold on until the morning. Where as Sasha, who is just 1, I know that if she doesn't go out before bedtime, I will get a 3am alarm call with her scratching the bedroom door needing to go out.

And this time of year is pretty grim, ours usually sniff outside the back door and if it's raining, they will not go out unless it's literally the last minute and they cannot hold on any longer :(

When we first had Oscar (well even up until he was around 2), I always used to go out in the garden with him of a night (even in the snow/rain/sleet/wind) just to encourage him. We would walk around the garden a bit just so he would move and hopefully everything would work it's way through, then we could go back in.

Is that an option for you? Would he be happier to go out there if you were with him too? Or do you already do that and Monty still doesn't want to go?
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I took both of mine for a walk down the street every evening at 10pm no matter what the weather. They soon caught on that it was better to get it done and over with so they could get back home :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
nessclair

Post by nessclair »

Thanks for the time to reply. My husband does actually take him out for a walk, so we are not just sending him out on his own. We have now discussed taking him out about an hour earlier at 9pm so he isn’t quite so solidly asleep...that’s more the issue really...he is so deep in sleep and warm and cosy that he really can’t be bothered, made worse by inclement weather in the winter!!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Vanessa

Otto gets a bribe. I tell him its bedtime at 10 pm and shout biscuit. He follows me to the outside door and he gets one small piece of biscuit and I show him another piece and tell him he gets it when he comes back. Boy, you should see how fast he goes and does his wee... If Monty is treat oriented then you should have no problem training this.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
nessclair

Post by nessclair »

Just to update, we solved the problem by taking him out at 9 pm instead of 10pm, before he was in a really deep sleep, and that works better 👍