Puppy food

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Yipandyap
Puppy
First Name: Steven

Puppy food

Post by Yipandyap »

Hi my 14 week miniature is growing fast I have only been feeding him Natural Instinct puppy food. They only have the 1 flavour in the puppy range. However his stools seem to vary from fine moist to soft. No real consistency but mainly soft.
We have been adding rice to try firm them up. It helped a little.
He is into licking and eating anything.especially grass and weeds. I wonder if this is the problem Is he eating grass to try get mor vitamins maybe some green tripe should be added.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Puppy food

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Steven, was your pup fed Natural Instinct by the breeder? I ask because if not, it can take a few weeks for a pups tum to settle from soft to a more firm consistency. I recently changed my 14 month old's food and even with a smooth transfer over 2 weeks it took another 3 weeks for what I would call a consistent firm poop. If that is the case just continue and wait for the improvement. Personally I wouldn't be adding rice. The rubbish that pups eat will have an effect on the consistency (and colour!) also.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I agree I wouldn't give the rice either. Barney regularly eats grass he's a bit of a sheep. He just likes it and has specific patches he goes to for a nibble. I sprout wheatgrass and let it grow a few inches. You would think I was giving him fillet steak, loves it.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

You could also try the Natural Instinct Working Dog Puppy food. The term "working dog" is frequently used by raw pet food producers but does not mean that the food is not suitable for any active puppy or dog. We have given "working dog" food to all our dogs from puppyhood onwards and we have mini schnauzers and a toy breed of dog that is even smaller in size. It would give you a different option of proteins which is always good if you want to stay with Natural Instinct. If you are feeding raw, meat is meat really and no difference to a puppy or a dog of any breed or size other than the consistency of the food and the amount of food to be fed on the basis of weight / age of the puppy. All NI meals are very finely minced so no problem with consistency even with adult dog meals.

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/raw-working-puppy-food

I agree re not adding rice and would continue with the NI and wait and see if things improve. If you feel things are not getting better I would consult with the vet.

Grass eating is very common in dogs and puppies and may have nothing to do with needing missing vitamins. I had read that dogs also do this to help rid their system of worms, to add extra fibre or maybe they just like the taste :D It is not anything to worry about though.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Yipandyap
Puppy

Post by Yipandyap »

Thanks, the food was what the breeder has been giving him.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Appreciate it
Will try some of the other range.
Yipandyap
Puppy

Post by Yipandyap »

Just for anyone who may have these problems. Monty is now back on normal poop.
Can’t pin it down to an exact thing.
Was stricter on things he’d put in his mouth
Changed hygiene protocol on his food. Minimal time out the fridge and kept at the back.
Bought some new food same brand

Put the cat on barf now see how he does.
JonRoff
First Name: Jon

Post by JonRoff »

Hi we feed Nutriment Puppy food. Our girl loves it!

https://www.nutriment.co.uk/product-cat ... nge/puppy/