Itchy Dog

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
PoppyandLucie
Puppy
First Name: Natasha

Itchy Dog

Post by PoppyandLucie »

Hi, hope someone can help. I have 2 minis and the older one is scratching like mad behind the top of her front legs, one of them is looking very sore and the fur has started to come out.
I have recently started to change them onto another food, which is also grain free like the other one.
Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing it, my other mini seems to be scratch free.
Thanks.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Itchy Dog

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Strange that it is only one leg and a specific spot. Can you see/feel the skin and check whether anything is irritating it or stuck in it. You could try malaseb shampoo which I have used before on itchy skin. Did she scratch before you changed her food. If not then you could change back so that you can confirm whether it is the new food.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
PoppyandLucie
Puppy
First Name: Natasha

Post by PoppyandLucie »

It seems to be both legs, but one she targets a lot more. The skin does look and feel irritated. I could cut down the new food and see if it makes a difference. I tried to change it for one that’s similar in make up to what she had before but a smaller kibble. I think I will pop her to the vet tomorrow as it doesn’t look great, have put some natural hemp balm on it for now which seems to have helped.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

It does sound like an allergy reaction then if it is affecting more than one area. Hope you can sort it.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney has had the same thing this time of year for past few years, in exactly the same spots. I've come to the conclusion its some sort of seasonal allergy, no idea what but not linked with food as I've tried omitting allsorts and it made no difference. I was using optipet skin and coat formula which is all natural herbal ingredients added to food, it worked a treat. Unfortunately its no longer available.

I've tried several other things such as adding coconut oil, feeding omega oils, dorwest keepers mix, dorwest green powder, other coat conditioning food supplements. various creams most of which were a bit strong smelling, non itch shampoos. Non made enough of a difference to stop him nibbling.

At the moment I'm trying 32 multi vitamin tablet and Professional coat conditioner tablet from https://crosswaycottage.co.uk/. Hes been taking them 3 weeks now and he has the odd nibble for an itch but not making the area sore in any way like he was.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

I would definitely do a vet visit and ask for a skin scrape of the affected area..this will rule out parasites etc..

If the dog wears a harness,it's possible recent wet weather has caused rubbing in this area...cut hair short here and have a good look to see if skin is red raw...or there are pustules etc which would suggest infection/ pests..if it is as simple as this,change to a different fit harness..

The fact you've just switched foods is a red light..take dog off the new food and go back to old...no half measures...ie .if the dog is aallergic or even intolerant to the new food,even a molecule will trigger the reaction...you can't simply lower quantities and hope the bad reaction will be reduced.