Mini with stomach pain (I think)

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
TheCaptain
Puppy
First Name: Andy
Dog #1: Oakley

Mini with stomach pain (I think)

Post by TheCaptain »

I have posted on here before but now have some updates although still no idea what it is.

My mini is 7 and since about 12 months her has suffered with random bouts of pain, possibly stomach as he seems to lick it when it happens. He is usually quiet before hand and then he will suddenly jump on th floor, scoot round in circles whilst trying to lick his stomach. He will often yelp in pain too.

This happens every 11-12 weeks ish. Then he is fine. Never vomits and his poo is usually fine too.

When it happens he gets short of breath or at least pants a lot and won’t drink although will take water of my finger.

He is on kibble and low fat meat both from Royal Canin as recommended by vet (she did also recommend chappie)

Anyone got similar symptoms....?

Thanks
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Re: Mini with stomach pain (I think)

Post by jacdales »

Have you tried massaging his tummy when this happens? My Welsh Terrier suffers from CECS canine epiloidal cramping syndrome. It's a bit like IBS in humans. The vet thought it was epilepsy at first but it is not. She gets a lot of abdominal pain to the point where she cannot move and you can see the pain and fear in her eyes but she is nit fitting or aggressive in any way. We found out it was too fatty a diet She is on a single protein raw food duck and no grain or things in it We have not had an episode in 4 years since we took her off dried food. I think it swells in her tummy and makes her uncomfortable.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I am sorry to hear that you have not been able to resolve Oakley's episodes of pain over the past few years and do not really have any diagnosis as to cause.

A dog in pain will often pant so the panting may just be a symptom of that rather than being short of breath. As it is happening every 12 weeks approximately, is there anything that Oakley experiences around that time that is different to other times? Does he have a walk in a different place, stay with anyone on those occasions, does he have any medication / anti-parasite treatments around that time? Physical pain can sometimes be brought on by stress so anything that might happen coincidentally with these episodes is worth looking into as finding the cause would make it easier to suggest something to help.

I agree with jacdales regarding the benefits of a raw food diet and know of a Lakeland Terrier in our village who had chronic digestive issues which were resolved by moving to a raw diet with plenty of tripe. It is smelly but raw tripe is packed full of nutrients and beneficial bacteria.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/th ... -on-tripe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nowadays you can get raw tripe through companies who supply prepared raw food for dogs which takes a lot of the unpleasantness out of handling it but not sadly the smell! Some companies do also have special diet meals for dogs with a delicate digestion:

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/special ... w-dog-food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would recommend though that you look for a holistic vet surgery that has a homeopathic veterinary surgeon who may be able to look further into what is causing Oakley's problem. A homeopathic vet is one that has studied and gained veterinary qualifications in the usual way through university so is trained in all the usual aspects of veterinary care but has gone on to study further into healing methods that work quite differently from the pharmaceutical/allopathic approach. A consultation is about 2-3 hours from our experience and looks at every aspect of the dog's life to try and build up a profile which may suggest a remedy to help. They may take tests to assess liver function etc and may suggest other changes such as diet, activities to help but we have found the process really helpful when conventional vets are drawing a blank. As I say, until you know what you are dealing with it is hard to be confident in suggesting a solution and it would be wonderful if you could help Oakley and find a way to relieve his periodic bouts of pain.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I used a holistic/homeopathic vet for Elle the welsh Terrier it was actually cheaper for a consultation than a regular one. Well the same price actually but she got 30 to 45 mins consultation and I felt the vet listened to what I was saying about my dog rather than the symptoms she presented on that visit which as soon as a vet looked at her she appeared in the best health possible
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

jacdales wrote:I used a holistic/homeopathic vet for Elle the welsh Terrier it was actually cheaper for a consultation than a regular one. Well the same price actually but she got 30 to 45 mins consultation and I felt the vet listened to what I was saying about my dog rather than the symptoms she presented on that visit which as soon as a vet looked at her she appeared in the best health possible
That sounds just typical of our dogs too when they have had to go to the vets - acting as though they are fine when, at home, they are in dire straits and you feel as though the vet must think you are overreacting or mad =))

We were very impressed with the homeopathic vet we saw years ago for one of our minis in terms of time and research to try and discover what was wrong. Although we have actually also had a really good consultation with a reptile vet too for our bearded dragon. Totally different approach to the usual consultation with a dog: he wanted to know who bred the dragon, full details of its environment (size, heating, lighting), what substrate was in the vivarium etc. ; that it was eating biologically appropriate food...He was so passionate about reptiles and spent ages telling us about research on them and new information that was being gathered about the importance of UVB levels on birds as well as reptiles. No mention, of course, of vaccination or regular flea/worm treatments - just a real desire to share advice on keeping a bearded dragon healthy. If only more vets were like that with our dogs ! I have never been asked for KC registration details, name of breeder, or any interest shown in recording their health test results (eye screening / MAC) on the surgery records, and, with our affens, it is really difficult to find any vet capable of performing the patella test which is a simple manual test expected of all affen owners/breeders by the breed club.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here but it does highlight I hope the need to find a dedicated vet if at all possible who has a real interest in every individual dog's health and not just working their way through random tests and /or selling pharmaceutical treatments before identifying the need or whether it is appropriate for that particular dog.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
kstelfer
First Name: Kate

Post by kstelfer »

Hi, I have been searching for answers to our Schnauzer’s pain - it is exactly the same as what you have described. Did you find out what is causing it?