New Addition

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
Gemski
Puppy
First Name: Gemma

New Addition

Post by Gemski »

Hi All,

We rehomed a mini last week to join our other mini, Ronnie. He has come from a good home, not rescued etc so has settled in extremely well and it feels like he's been with us longer than a week already! He is gorgeous and really loving :x

However, Ronnie (2 years old) has not taken it too well as expected a bit jealous etc - I have read numerous articles on this but there is one issue i'd like some advice on.

The new dog will go to the toilet in the kitchen when we go out in the day (most likely due to new surroundings, feeding regime and also it was acceptable at his previous home). I don't make a fuss of the situation, just tidy it up and clean with the puppy spray we had which leaves no smell of it behind. However, Ronnie will then get up in the night, go down to the kitchen and go to the toilet in the same place as if he's marking territory.

How can we ease this behaviour in both dogs? I expect it to ease in the coming weeks, but Ronnie is completely 100% house trained and this is not normal behaviour!

There is also the typical dominance behaviour, ear nipping etc from time to time but it is getting better day by day. I also remind myself jealousy is a human emotion and not that of a dog - and am waiting for one of them to become the pack 'leader' in time.

Any help on this toilet situation appreciated!

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: New Addition

Post by zeta1454 »

Not sure from your post whether your new addition is older or younger than Ronnie. I know when we re-homed a dog that was a year older than our resident mini our first girl did not take to the newcomer at all. There was no aggression but they never played together and it can be a more challenging situation for a resident dog to have an older one come into the family set up.

Undoubtedly Ronnie's behaviour re going to the toilet where your new mini has been in the kitchen is a marker to cover the scent of the first and establish his territory. Dogs will do this marking behaviour even outside if they are playing or walking together.

It is unfortunate that your new mini has been encouraged to believe it is OK to toilet inside as you will now have to start house training just as you will have done with Ronnie initially. You will need to confine your new boy either with a crate or playpen when you are out to restrict the area where he can toilet and discourage him from going indoors. Use puppy pads or paper sheets over a waterproof liner to cover the floor area if using a playpen. Although it may seem as though there is no scent remaining on the floor where he toilets, dogs have an extremely sensitive nose for these smells and will use a familiar area time and again and will attract other dogs to use the spot too. You need to try and make sure if he does go indoors that you can remove the scent entirely by throwing out paper or pads that have been soiled. Do make sure that he has had every opportunity to toilet outside before you go out and try to establish a routine where he knows the times and places he can toilet. Dogs do like routine and, if they get used to going out for a walk or play in the garden before a meal and after a meal, they will get to know that these are the times to toilet and will hold on if they need to go earlier.

Basically you are going back to house training as with a puppy and trying to make sure that your new boy has little or no opportunity to use the kitchen floor as a toilet. If Ronnie is only going to toilet in the night in the kitchen then I would try to make sure that he does not have access to the kitchen at that time and supervise him at other times in that area. The more you can limit the available space for the new boy to use as a toilet, the less likely he may be to go indoors.

It is possible that your newcomer is experiencing separation anxiety when you go out so that too may be something you need to work on. It could be a good idea to get professional behavioural advice from someone who could talk through with you some of the issues and suggest an individual approach for your dogs:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Gemski
Puppy
First Name: Gemma

Post by Gemski »

Many thanks for your advice. The new mini is older than Ronnie, so can relate to the issues below.

Would you suggest shutting both in their crate (they have one each) when I go out, or just the new mini?

Thank you
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Gemski wrote:Many thanks for your advice. The new mini is older than Ronnie, so can relate to the issues below.

Would you suggest shutting both in their crate (they have one each) when I go out, or just the new mini?

Thank you
I have been trying to consider this as it does depend to some extent on how relaxed each of your dogs are with being in a crate. My initial thoughts would be to try and establish a new routine for both when you go out and have them both in their own crates. Once you are confident that your new addition is not going to toilet indoors you may be able to let both out as before.

My worry with leaving Ronnie out when the other is in the crate was in case it might make the newcomer more agitated if he could not get out but could see Ronnie out and about. It maybe that it would not bother him and if Ronnie just rests / sleeps while you are out there may not be an issue with just crating the new boy. I think if it was me I would try having both in crates and see how that went but you may need to see how well it works for Ronnie too.

It is always a challenge with introducing a new dog to the family - especially with an older dog but even younger ones who have had different experiences/ routines can take a while to adjust. Males even when neutered can also be a bit more territorial with their home and garden.

I am sure with time the new boy will become more relaxed and settled and will copy Ronnie and use the garden and not the kitchen. Good luck :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/