Advice - Travelling to Asia with a Miniature Schnauzer

Our members organise Schnauzer walks and Schnauzer Events all over the country and you will find all the details here. Join in and make some new friends for you and your Schnauzer. Feel free to share your travel tips here too.
schnauday
First Name: Loujou

Advice - Travelling to Asia with a Miniature Schnauzer

Post by schnauday »

Hi guys,

I'm just beginning to do some preliminary research on what I'll have to do, in order to take my kids (four-legged furry variety) to South East Asia with me. I know they'll need a pet passport, but I'm looking for information on recommended airlines etc. I've had a quick look and found that some allow them to travel in the cabin, ideally I think I'd prefer that. I'd be so grateful for any information for anyone that has recently done this.

Thanks in advance!!
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Advice - Travelling to Asia with a Miniature Schnauzer

Post by Dinkum »

I would send Elaine (Caramomo) a PM. She has shipped her three dogs out to the Middle East and then onto Malaysia, where they currently reside. She should be able to give you loads of tips and advise on what is needed.

Contact her here memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Here's a good link re airlines and some info about the regulations ...
http://www.dogjaunt.com/guides/internat ... in-travel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've travelled to stLouisUSA from Italy on at least six occasions,with a rottie and later a dogue de Bordeaux mastiff...it was traumatic to say the least but we were staying there for two years so had no option to leave anyone behind.My dogs travelled in the hold ,but classified as excess baggage.
are you going to be a long stayer or just visiting Asia? What part of Asia will you be going?
If you visit the maff site ,they will state what diseases are common in the area you have chosen and what vaccinations your pets will need.
How many dogs will be going? some airlines only allow one dog per flight .
you will see there is a weight limit for the dogs,including theirtravel bag ,which I think even a mini schnauzer will exceed,in order to be allowed in the cabin.Your dogs will very likely go in the cargo hold.if they are not used to a crate,I'd start now to get them crate trained.
Furry boots
First Name: Josie

Post by Furry boots »

Oh brilliant!! I've been lurking a while (Hi everyone) and this is something I've wanted to know too!!

Sorry to hijack OP's thread...

I'm planing to take two minis (who are completely crate trained) to Hong Kong, sometime next year... most probably around March/April time. I'm just visiting, but planning to stay for 3/4 weeks. Robin black mini, would you be able to give me the website for this 'maff site'? It seems I'll find all the relevant information there.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Maf...ministry of agriculture and fisheries...Google maf pet travel and lots of sub links will come up. Eg
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And
https://www.gov.uk/search?q=Pet+travel+to+Asia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;