Its that time of year again

Captured a special moment with your Schnauzer? Caught them digging up the daffodils? Then please share. We love seeing photographs of all our Schnauzers having fun. Feel free to browse the Gallery too.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

So Barney thought he would be a springer spaniel yesterday and did the springy hoping thing through high grass AND sticky things X(
His front legs were as bad as his beard, his eyebrow was actually joined to his beard, he even had them stuck to hairs on the end of his willy :-o =)) He also made it worse by trying to rub off the ones on his eyebrows by rubbing his head in the grass just after I'd taken these photos to get them nice and knotted in :D Thank goodness they don't stick to a stripped coat otherwise I'd still be combing them out =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014
is a: B/S Mini Dog

Re: Its that time of year again

Post by lj_thorne »

Oh my goodness Barney!!!!!!!! :-o
That's some collection! I would have cried Alison !!!!
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
Gina

Post by Gina »

Ioli is Barney's soul mate - yesterday I bathed her ready for her professional groom on Wednesday - I collected her from my friends after work tonight and when we got in she happily galloped off into the garden only to reappear 5 minutes later plastered in the damn things. Took me half an hour to pick the buggers out one by one - wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't spent Saturday afternoon going through all the flower beds pulling anything that looked vaguely seedy out!

Off to the caravan on Friday for a week of beach and field frolics - can only imagine what state she will be in....and I know her groomer will say "are you Sure you don't want me to trim her beard? " :)
Using Tapatalk
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Having got one clipped and one stripped I can tell you it is most definitely way easier to get these ruddy sticky balls out of a stripped doggy ~x(

Good work there Barney :ymdevil:
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Maty wrote:Having got one clipped and one stripped I can tell you it is most definitely way easier to get these ruddy sticky balls out of a stripped doggy ~x(

I cant even begin to imagine how long it would have taken to get them out of fluffy jacket :-o He did have just as many on his jacket when he came out, looked like he had chicken pox, but gave a shake and they literally fell off. Didn't even need to comb his jacket.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

They're a menace. total menace. Renae gets covered by them as soon as her nose gets out the door. We also have those long grassy flowering buds that tangle into their feet & legs badly. The joys of summer. In the winter its the mud, in the summer its these devils.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Dawnspell wrote:
Maty wrote:Having got one clipped and one stripped I can tell you it is most definitely way easier to get these ruddy sticky balls out of a stripped doggy ~x(

I cant even begin to imagine how long it would have taken to get them out of fluffy jacket :-o He did have just as many on his jacket when he came out, looked like he had chicken pox, but gave a shake and they literally fell off. Didn't even need to comb his jacket.
Brilliant isn't it :-bd

I was going to say I am never having a clipped dog again…..but if I go down the rescue route next time I suspect it would be unlikely that I would find a stripped jacket :-o
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Given the choice I think I would definitely go for stripped if it means fewer of these pesky things! Ollie was already clipped so have just stuck with it but at this time of year it is awful! He is covered! Just when i think I am winning and have got them out, I run my hand over him and find tons more! Thankfully he is quite short at the moment but his legs and beard are just a magnet for them! ~x(
Morgana99
Dog #1: Alfie
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Doesn't Barney's white coat show them off nicely?! :-o

I've been having to do a daily trawl through my two's coats for these, combined with grass seeds X( I didn't realise stripped coats don't have the same holding power. Mine were already clipped when we got them, although thankfully their coats are quite short at the moment. Nevertheless it takes some time to root the sticky balls out of all crevices, especially around the mouth :(( . At least they are happy to jump up on our bench and let me do it when we get home. The other hazards at the moment are teasel like balls that don't just attach, they embed themselves in legs especially or in the pads of feet. If Duke gets one anywhere on him, that's it, instant paralysis until I go and rescue him from the middle of the field, or wherever he happens to get inflicted :ymdevil:
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
Gina

Post by Gina »

Much as I moan about seed picking I really do think that all the touching increases the bond between us :)
Using Tapatalk
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I know the ones you mean Alison. I find the easiest way to get those out is to try and scrunch and break them up with your nails so they're in tiny bits to comb out rather than trying to pick them out. A drop of hair serum rubbed in makes it easier as well.

From what I've read although it takes longer and is a weekly commitment to maintain a stripped coat compared to clipping every 6-8 weeks. I think time saved with other advantages over a clipped coat probably means you spend about the same time grooming both types.
Our first family dog