So sad - I think it's time

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: So sad - I think it's time

Post by zeta1454 »

My heart goes out to you - it is the most emotionally traumatic decision we have ever had to make and despite having gone through it several times it never gets any easier and the pain is no less.

At least we do have the option to allow our pets to pass with some dignity, save them pain and distress and know when the time is right to make that decision out of love and compassion. I would partly agree with the posts above that recommended having the vet come to the house - there is an additional cost but we have found that it has been the calmest and gentlest option for us and our pets. The only two exceptions have been the mini schnauzer who was rehomed with us and would get very stressed out when anyone called to the house and yet was absolutely relaxed and un-fazed at the vets ( a bizarre thing and we never quite understood why but for her the least stressful option was to take her to the vets.) The other happened when we were already at the surgery and a decision was made there and then, I think you just have to decide what would be the best knowing your little one and how she would be in either situation.

There are no words that really can ease the pain of this and I do understand what you must be going through and am crying with you here. Sending hugs. :ymhug: :ymhug: Take care.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
jannie
Puppy
First Name: Jan
Dog #1: Barney
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 27 Sep 2007
Dog #2: Bella
Born: 0- 0-2012

Post by jannie »

So sad reading your heartbreaking post. Sending hugs at this very distressing time for you. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sending hugs :ymhug: :ymhug: and our thoughts are with you
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Salomon
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Gaspard
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 03 Jun 2012
Dog #2: Diego
Born: 10 May 2013

Post by Salomon »

Can only imagine how you are feeling :( hope you get through the day and manage to stay strong. :ymhug:
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

So very sorry to hear your awful news about Sophie, it is the most awful decision you ever have to make, but, you know deep in your heart that it is the right thing to do and the most selfless thing to do. May she rest in peace, bless her. My heart goes out to you and yours :(
Gina

Post by Gina »

I read you're post first thing this morning and have been thinking about you all day. It is truly an horrendous time for you - I have had to make the decision before as only one of my dogs died in her sleep. My thoughts are with you x
Using Tapatalk
SarahMiller21
Puppy
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Jenson (RIP)
Born: 08 Apr 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 02 Apr 2014

Post by SarahMiller21 »

Me and my other half went through it in March but Jenson was only 11months old! It was such a hard decision at such a young age but we know we did everything to save his life. After spending 2 weeks in hospital, we got to bring him home for 1 last week where we got to show him he was still loved! It took us a while to make the decision but I think you just know when it's time. Lots of love and thoughts from someone who knows what your going through. Xx
Ro Peach
First Name: Rosemary
Dog #1: Sophie
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 08 Jan 1999

Post by Ro Peach »

Thank you all for you comments and very wise words. It has been such a comfort today.

After a mixed but disturbed night we knew we had to phone the vet this morning. Unfortunately there was only one vet working today and so we had no choice but to arrange an afternoon appointment. It was the right decision as Sophie had another sort of fit at lunchtime and was very tired and confused. She slept all the way to the vets and passed away quite peacefully. The vet (not our usual one) was very kind and gentle and we had ample time to say our goodbyes. How the OH drove home through all the tears though is a miracle.

Tonight we have been remembering all the great times we have had with her over the years. So many walks, holidays and fun times. She was such an amazing character. Quite eccentric in many little ways. Her motto would definitely be 'I did it my way.' But not a nasty bone in her body. We were in our mid 40's when we got her as a puppy and we are now in our early 60's so a lifetime. It feels like the end of an era for us and a bit shell shocked tonight.

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts. I hope to be back some time in the future but it is too early and raw at the moment. Just cherish your little ones while you can.
Chloe always in my heart. Salt and pepper mini 1999 - 2012
Sophie my amazing black mini 1999 - July 2014
Arbormalc
First Name: Malcolm
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 01 Mar 2006
Dog #2: Ziva
Born: 06 Jun 2009
Dog #3: Pippa
Born: 05 Dec 2012

Post by Arbormalc »

Ro Peach wrote:We were in our mid 40's when we got her as a puppy and we are now in our early 60's so a lifetime.
A lifetime of memories. Bless.......................

Best wishes for the future. :ymhug:
Owned by - 3x Mini's (all rescues). Oscar 8 and Ziva 5 and Pippa 18mths. and our gorgeous new rescue 14mth old Tanya - our very first Giant!!!
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Thinking of you both at this very sad time, unfortunately most of us have been in your shoes and sometimes it feels to hard to bear, but, enjoy the lovely memories, talk about her often and don't be afraid to cry, the pain does ease with time, but most of all I would say, get another dog, it will never replace Sophie but it will help you.
Olive
Puppy
First Name: Charlie

Post by Olive »

Absolutely heartbreaking. I am so sorry. All thoughts are with you both X
Teddy boo boo
First Name: Christie

Post by Teddy boo boo »

Hi I'm so very sad for you and your heartbreaking decision, our schnauzers mean the world to us, being without them is never an option until you have to selfless and let them go. My husband bought me our first schnauzer back in 2002, he was a birthday present, my baby, we called him Sky because of his blue/grey coat. We were very lucky until last July (2013) he developed pancreatitis, was in the vets hospital (which was so painful leaving him their) he came home and I googled his symptoms as they were getting worse, I told them he had liver disease but they wouldn't listen, in the end we took him to another recommended vet for a second opinion and guess what? We were right but it was too late for our boy :(( on the way to the vets he was sick in the car and it was blood, I knew it was a bad sign, I was crying before we saw the vet, all we could do was let him go, it was the worst day of our lives and as I'm typing this I'm crying, it's still very painful and the anniversary is coming up. We brought him home with us and my husband and stepson dug his grave, it was so hard telling our 10 yr old daughter, he was her best friend too, we said our goodbyes and our daughter read a beautiful poem just for Sky, my dad made him a cross and he lays under his favourite tree in our back garden, wrapped in his blanket with his favourite toy, I howled for days and nights, sat by his grave, lit a candle at Xmas and his b day, I lay flowers their often and feel comfort that he is near, although his spirt is free and out of pain, I will never forget him. Our puppy Teddy brings us such joy and I can never ever imagine my life without a schnauzer, they are the most perfect dog to me. My thoughts are with you guys at this very emotional and difficult time xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Teddy boo boo
First Name: Christie

Post by Teddy boo boo »

My thoughts are with you at this time :ymhug:
Gina

Post by Gina »

I haven't commented before but I have been following your thread and thinking of you and send my condolences x Your age comment made me want to write before you left the forum for a while. I know you cannot replace Sophie - that would be impossible but I wanted to say that I had to make the decision to have my last dog put to sleep just after Christmas and I thought long and hard about having another one I too am 60 and I live alone but when I dipped my toe in the water one of the first things the family I had ioli from said, was that if anything happened and I couldn't keep her they would want her back whatever her age. I also joined the Dogs Trust who have a rehoming scheme should I die before her. One of my two sons would probably take her on should anything happen but hopefully I have all bases covered.

Ioli has brought me such joy and has filled the emptiness Molly left when she died and hopefully we will grow older together. I wish you well in the future and hope to see you here again x
Using Tapatalk
milosark2
First Name: vicky
Dog #1: Milo
is a: Black Std Dog
Born: 27 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Darcey
Born: 27 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Inka
Born: 07 Jan 2016

Post by milosark2 »

Rest in peace little Sophie :ymhug: x

Thinking of you both at this sad time and wishing you the very best for the future :ymhug: