Dangerous Foods and Plants

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Re: thought this would be useful

Post by Caramomo »

Acorns, oak bark, oak leaves and twigs are all very poisonous to dogs, they can cause diarroea and vomiting and, in large numbers, kidney failure resulting in death. There is no known antidote.

Conkers cause similar problems.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

See this is such a good thread (bigthumbs)
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Crab apples in large quantities can be poisonous, too. In smaller quantities it just causes an upset tum. I am currently fighting against my two to pick the crab apples up before they scoff them. It's a good thing to do anyhow, because crab apples also encourage wasps, and if the dog swallows a wasp or gets a wasp sting it can be nasty. There was one on Minxster's head yesterday and I amused my family by flicking it off (the wasp, not her head) and stamping on it shouting how I would do the same to any of it's friends who come near my dogs.
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back it was probably a Giant Schnauzer...*sigh*
Downtrodden former owner of 2 Giants, the fabulous Tula Bear & very naughty Minxster - Minxsters blog: http://minxstergiant.blogspot.com/ )
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Thanks for restarting this thread, Mitch.

Great to know about the oak leaves, twigs and acorns.. Is it if they actually swallow them? Or are certain plants poisonous just if they lick them?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Mookies mum Im not sure I think it would be if ingested, will try to find out for you

Butter cup is toxic to them too we have loads in our garden and as a pup Mabel ate some, before we knew it was not good for them and it caused her colitis to flare up but since then shes never eaten any and Charlie girl went to but before I stopped her she seemed to stop herself. None of the others attempt to eat it, theres too much on the farm to get rid of it. So most times they do sort out the duff stuff from posh nosh, but afraid all poop is on the posh nosh list (giggle)
SarahA
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Pippa
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 22 May 2009
Dog #2: Daisy
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 01 May 2012

Post by SarahA »

Good to get confirmation on grapes being harmful as I though I had heard that somewhere before My next door neighbour has a grape vine growing in their garden and as the grapes ripen some fall into my garden. I have put the family on high alert to scan the garden for fallen grapes at least 3 times a day until they have all been removed from the vine (which will not be for at least another 2 weeks as the neighbours have just disappeared to Portugal for a fortnight). With warm weather expected n the South East for at least the next 10 days I think those grapes will be ripening up quite quickly. They are usually quite sour even when ripe so I hope Pippa isnt too interested and leaves them well alone.
Sarah + Pippa (p&s mini - d.o.b.22/5/09) & Daisy (b&s mini - d.o.b 01/5/12) - Perfect additions to our family.
schnauzerfan

Re: Dangerous Foods and Plants

Post by schnauzerfan »

Now I am in a quandary! My two have very dicey guts but every Sunday they get a finger of wild smoked salmon! I don't know how that counts in the 'raw' stakes?!
I have a nice book 'The Pet-Friendly Garden' by Richard Barrett.ISBN 0330393162 which lists poisons but also gives lots of ideas of constructing a garden to please humans and meet the needs of dogs, cats and rabbits.
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Post by miniforme »

schnauzerfan wrote:Now I am in a quandary! My two have very dicey guts but every Sunday they get a finger of wild smoked salmon! I don't know how that counts in the 'raw' stakes?!
I have a nice book 'The Pet-Friendly Garden' by Richard Barrett.ISBN 0330393162 which lists poisons but also gives lots of ideas of constructing a garden to please humans and meet the needs of dogs, cats and rabbits.

Hi schnauzerfan we have a little section in products and places, with recommended reading items it would be great if you could add your book to that :)
ImageBig dogs in little packages
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I think smoked salmon is generally regarded as cooked
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Little known fact: Mushrooms are dangerous to dogs, any variety. I don't know if all kinds are fatal but they don't do them any good.
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

I've never heard of the normal mushrooms we eat as being toxic to dogs, although there are many species in the wild that are toxic to us and dogs.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

I hadn't heard it either, but was watching a programme about it on the Discovery Channel!

Grapes, mushrooms, dark chocolate, cocoa beans, daffodils, all sorts - I was like, no way, really!
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

maybe they should have specified which mushrooms! lol
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

All varieties CAN be dangerous, toadstools are lethal and shittake ones apparently give them splatterbum and nasty tummies.
I think I'll just steer clear of them all haha!
GissyGiantSchnauzer
Puppy

Post by GissyGiantSchnauzer »

Thank you for the post! We should really be familiar with the different kinds of dangerous things that can harm our dogs.
"There is no such thing as an ugly Giant Schnauzer. There are some that are closer to perfection than others, that is all." - Frank Grover