weight at 6 months 7.2 kg!!

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Re: weight at 6 months 7.2 kg!!

Post by countrygirl »

Maty wrote:Just dug this thread out as I was wondering if Rodders is too Skinny, he is just under 13 inches high, 14 long and weighs 6.4kg.
I agree with Claire and Sarah, when I felt Rodders' lovely silky body at Hyde Park I don't remember thinking he was in any way skinny. I think this and similar threads just show what a variety of sizes our Schnauzers come in and we have to judge them individually by body condition not weight and height comparisons.

I also think that the question prompts those of us with chunky monkeys to respond to help show joerillibee that her pup is completely normal, so you'll get a skewed response and not necessarily a reflective cross section. From previous posts I'd seen that there were a few other big minis like Widget, so I hadn't realised just how much bigger he was than most other minis until I met all you guys and got quite a shock :)) .
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Post by jentucker »

A bit like when we did the Heaton Park walk & Flint was the same size as his girlie, the beautiful Standard Millie at the same age (that was a shock to me let me tell you!)...... Obviously there is a 'breed standard', but just like human beings they come in a myriad of builds/sizes. Before Flint got ill last month, he was knocking on for just over 9.5kg, but looked skinny (tiny waisted, rib definition showing slightly), he stood over 16" high (he was 8 months then). Actually his long legs enable him to have a longer stride which will benefit him in the hiking we have planned over the next few years & I have long since not been bothered about his height. His skinny frame is obviously a different issue, but will see how it all pans out, as things may change on that front once he gets done late this year & also as he fills out as he matures & obviously he appears to have a delicate gut so it may continue to be an ongoing issue. As long as your dog fits the definition of looking a healthy weight, then try not to worry about the numbers.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

There are more and more oversized Miniatures, even show stock, so I'm not at all surprised some are heavier than the standard sets. Some lines are slower or faster maturing too; Maisy wasn't full height until about 7 months and Nog is going the same way.

Maisy is 13 inches and weighs about 7kg (2 1/2)
Freddy is 14 1/2 inches and weighs about 7.5-8kg (3 1/2)
Eggnog is nearly 11 inches and weighs about 5kg (5 1/2 months).
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Tulip wrote: Maisy is 13 inches and weighs about 7kg (2 1/2)
Freddy is 14 1/2 inches and weighs about 7.5-8kg (3 1/2)
Eggnog is nearly 11 inches and weighs about 5kg (5 1/2 months).

Nice sizes there :)
countrygirl

Post by countrygirl »

Tulip wrote:There are more and more oversized Miniatures, even show stock,
It is interesting to think about. With humans of all races we know that progressive generations have on average grown taller and bigger through nutritional and medical advances. Over time you might expect to see the same thing in dogs as presumably dog food in general is more nutritional now than say 50 years ago (... although I realise this may be disputed :-?? ) but breeding to the standard would slow or halt this natural evolution.

That said, neither of Widgets parents were oversize so god knows how they threw a freak puppy like him :))
Lotties Ma
First Name: Marie
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by Lotties Ma »

Lottie is exactly six months and weighs 5.4 kg. She is 13" tall and 13" long. Our previous schnauzer was about the same size and her top weight was 6kg. She was 12" by 12"and lived over 15 years. Happy healthy dogs.
Steffi crossed the rainbow bridge 05.08.11
Thank you for the years of joy.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'd never even thought of it like that Tania! What an interesting way of looking at it.
jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Post by jentucker »

Tania, neither of Flint's parents are over breed standard height & apparently, all his grandparents weren't massive either, so dunno how the lad manages to be so huge (& still seemingly growing!). He was the 1st boy out & was always the biggest (but not always that markedly bigger than his litter brothers), but is still in proportion (he's always been the same length as height) , so he just seems to a Mini supersized as he fits the breed standard in everything except that, is your Widget the same?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)
countrygirl

Post by countrygirl »

jentucker wrote:He was the 1st boy out & was always the biggest (but not always that markedly bigger than his litter brothers), but is still in proportion (he's always been the same length as height) , so he just seems to a Mini supersized as he fits the breed standard in everything except that, is your Widget the same?
Yep Widget is the same length and height and looks in proportion. He was the 4th largest out of a litter of six so wonder what his 3 bigger brothers are like now, I might get in touch with his breeder. He's 5 1/2 months old now and already at 15 1/2 inches , he grew tremendously from 3-5 months, so much that I'd often notice a difference in the morning when I came down. His growth has slowed the past few weeks so hopefully he'll stop soon. Hormonally he's developing early as well as these past couple of weeks he's becoming quite a challenging teenager, he was terrible at class last night and my trainer had a feel of his bits and said 'yep his hormones are racing'. God help me!!
Kitty
First Name: Katherine
Dog #1: Laddie
Born: 12 Dec 2011

Post by Kitty »

Had Laddie weighed today when we went to collect his wormers and flea treatment. He's 4mo, 5 months on 12th May. He's gone from 5.9kg last month, to 8.1kg this month!!! Nearly 18lbs! No wonder I keep needing to up his food, and have had to replace his harness and collar this week!
TheBrownClan
Puppy
First Name: Melanie
Dog #1: Willis
Born: 14 Dec 2011

Post by TheBrownClan »

I am glad I found this thread as was coming on here to ask how big is too big?, as Willis is just over 5 months and weighs 6.9 kilos and stands at approx 13 inches to his shoulder, have met a few other Minis in our local park and all are fully grown and smaller than him!!, was getting a bit concerned I had got a standard Pup as people saying he is Big for a Mini and still has lots of growing to do( i think) , what age did your minis stop growing?, also his coat looks smokey grey in the sun light is this also normal for a black Mini ( not a problem if it not as we love him just the way he is ) :)
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

13'' is actually below the breed standard for a male mini. The breed standard for a Male is 14". Final height and growth rates will depend on Willis' background.
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
montykins

Post by montykins »

Oh Countrygirl quote '' when I felt Rodders lovely silky body in Hyde Park'
has the sun made you come over all uneccesary!!!!
TheBrownClan
Puppy
First Name: Melanie
Dog #1: Willis
Born: 14 Dec 2011

Post by TheBrownClan »

tombaker wrote:13'' is actually below the breed standard for a male mini. The breed standard for a Male is 14". Final height and growth rates will depend on Willis' background.

Thanks tombaker that is good to know, so it seems the other minis are on the smaller side then not Willis being too big for his age, He has a good pedigree on his dads side so hopefully the good genes have been passed on, looks wise they have he is gorgeous and has a lovely manner but then I am Biased :D, so it will be a waiting game to see about his size etc.
janek
First Name: Alison
Born: 14 Sep 2011

Post by janek »

I am glad I looked at this thread. Yesterday, I was looking at Klara thinking she's quite tall now, so I measured her. 16" at the shoulder and I just popped her on the scales and she about 10kg (I don't like looking at the scales too hard!). I actally think she's quite slim. She's 8.5 months old.

When we went to Keswick at Easter, we met about 7 Minis and she was far taller than any of them, even the chaps. My last mini was quite tall, so I never realised that Klara was particularly tall. Glad to know she's not alone.