Liver cake recipe?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
dannie_kl

Re: Liver cake recipe?

Post by dannie_kl »

im no expert on fish since i dont touch the stuff literally so no crab sticks for mine
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Tulip wrote:?...one thing I'm finding is good at the moment are those cheap crabsticks you can get that break up into tiny pieces. They're so smelly though, no one will sit next to you. :ymdaydream:

That's a good idea, one I'll be pinching this week methinks as I'm always trying new things out with the girls, Susie-Belle in particular. Will let you know what our resident foodie makes of them.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

This is an interesting thread and the recipes will be useful so I think we'll make it a "sticky".
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'm at the shop tomorrow so will get some liver and post pics of the results (and of course the judging panel will have their say).

Haha, you're similar to my sister Dannie, she refuses to so much as look at fish or seafood!

They're working really well for us BeeBee, especially as Nog is a pup so needs instant reward sometimes without having to munch for too long. Only problem is that they break into such small pieces that you have to make sure she gets every single piece without leaving any on the ringside to distract other dogs!
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

I'd just like to give a word of caution with regards to making liver cake. Especially for those with a delicate stomach, or those that don't like garlic!

I've made a batch this morning with slightly more garlic than I'd normally use. Usually I use 1 clove, but this morning I used 5!

It was eye watering in the kitchen when I cooked it despite the extractors going flat out, and I had to shut all the inside doors to stop stinking the house out, and open all the windows. My husband gagged every time he came in the house, and it even prompted the teenagers to get out of bed. I think they may have left home - staggering out the back door with the mouths and noses burried in the sleeves of their hoodies!

On top of that one of our neighbours asked if we'd had a gas leak! =))

I'll go back to my normal not so garlicky recipe for future batches!

I never know what liver cake should look like as it comes out different every time I make it. This is what the current batch looks like!

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

That looks PERFECT for training Gerri! Laughed abotu the garlic; I bought a big bag of ready chopped frozen stuff from Farmfoods at Christmas time, just sitting there waiting to be used, bahaha!
Derwent
First Name: Yvonne
Dog #1: Max
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 03 Sep 2007
Dog #2: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Aug 2010

Post by Derwent »

Your cake looks a lot paler than mine usually is, did you use chicken liver!

Love the story about the garlic - no vampires in your house tonight!
Yvonne
Small dogs but big personalities
Max (B/S mini) Monty (P/S mini)
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

I read somewhere that large amounts of garlic are bad for dogs. I only put one clove in or a teaspoon of garlic powder if i have no fresh.
At the shows i go to they sell liver cake and also sardine and tuna cake so I guess you could swap liver for them if you have the stomach for it
BBG

Post by BBG »

The good thing about liver cake is it's a very flexible recipe! My recipes tend to vary depending on whats in the cupboard. Sometimes I'll use whole wheat flour, sometimes I'll use semolina, sometimes I replace some of the flour with bran, plain flour, self raising..... sometimes one egg, some times two. Sometimes 4 tablespoons of flour sometimes 8!

Sometimes it comes out like cake, other times biscuit. Rufus doesn't care what it looks like, but I guess if it's got liver in it he'll eat it!

This batch was

500g/1lb Lambs Liver
2 tablespoons Olive oil
2 Eggs
5 Cloves garlic (I'll just use 1 clove in future!)
8 tablespoons self raising Flour. (About 250g/8 oz)

Line a baking tray with baking paper.

I whizz the liver, oil, eggs and garlic in the blender until it looks like mousse. Turn out mixture into a bowl.

Then fold in the flour and tip out onto the baking tray and level the mixture. Give bowl to the dog for prewash! Bake for about 15 minutes at 180. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Cuts into squares and return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes.

Allow to cool then batch up and freeze until needed for use.
Last edited by BBG on 20 Feb 2012, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Guinevere wrote:I read somewhere that large amounts of garlic are bad for dogs. I only put one clove in or a teaspoon of garlic powder if i have no fresh.
At the shows i go to they sell liver cake and also sardine and tuna cake so I guess you could swap liver for them if you have the stomach for it

I've also heard too much garlic isn't good for dogs, but a little is beneficial. It'll take Rufus at least a month to get through a batch of liver cake. I use other treats as well so he isn't eating it all in one go.
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Judianne wrote:Hi Beth this is the one that I use.

Liver Treats

1 lb. beef/lamb liver
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
12 - 14 cloves garlic
2 eggs

Puree liver and garlic in food processor. Add eggs, whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Grease cookie sheet and pour mixture onto cookie sheet. Bake in 180c oven for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking. Cut into desired sized squares, I use a pizza cutter

I usually place 1/2 of this recipe in a tupperware and keep in the fridge. The other half I freeze.

JUdi
Hi I have to admit I never put that amount of garlic in mine, 2-3 is the max I use, but I gave you the recipe as I was given to me. they do love it how ever you make it.

Judi
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

Tried the recipe with about a couple of teaspoons of garlic puree. Can't say it smelt all that bd but then I am a heavy smoker.

See what you mean about setting like rock. In fact it got so sticky the food processor gave up and smelled of burning insulation.

Dieta just loved cleaning the bowl. Now set aside to cool where she can't get at it.

Thanks folks for the idea.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks again everyone, everyone loved the liver cake this evening and were taking bits home with them for dogs that weren't there! Glad I labeled it though as some poor chap almost ate a bit!
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Not my own recipe (I'll just borrow everyone elses!) but a point about the unit of measurement 'a cup'. Someone mentioned that that was a bit vague, I'm assuming as cups come in different sizes, however the cup referred to in American recipes is not any old cup or mug you have in the cupboard but an actual unit that is measured by volume, not weight so a cup of flour weighs less than a cup of water but takes up the same amount of space. You can buy sets of measuring cups like these;

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary ... -4885.aspx
http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/measuring%20cups/products

Now different foods use different conversions depending on the density (or heaviness) of the food but as a rough guide 1 cup is about 8 ounces or 225 grams, but for a bit more accuracy based on food type without buying the cups see what the ever-reliable Delia says;

http://www.deliaonline.com/conversion-tables.html (it's the last conversion table)
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

This stuff is crack for dogs!

I had around 20 dogs following me round my local park today.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid ... 6ROvzdjNwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that was from treats given yesterday. Even Drummer the Shitzu who never accepts food from anyone but his owners was madly scrounging.

At one point i had 4 Westies, one Scottie, one rottweiler, three collies, one guide dog, one wiemaraner, assorted labradors and spaniels, a labradoodle, a cockapoo, several 57 varieties small terriers, two red setters and Dieta all aggressively begging.

Dieta is on a strict diet now - I thought she'd lost a bit of weight since the year end. She hadn't - but put on 1.5kg instead. Since she's getting spayed next month - she really needs to get used to less food and far fewer treats.

So the treats were all for other dogs and several pounds of liver cake got given away in the last couple of days.

And I've given my version of the recipe to four people today.

Thanks everyone!

D.