Update as promised - when Paddy met Lola

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
paddynlola

Update as promised - when Paddy met Lola

Post by paddynlola »

Hi all
well I did promise to report in when we brought our new puppy Lola home to meet Paddy! Daughters took Paddy out, we took Lola to the garden and when Paddy came in he didn't notice her at first then he sort of stood over her and snapped just the once (the first time he has ever snapped at anyone) Lola started squealing. She has been in hiding ever since!! so now she is a comfy igloo type bed within a crate to see how that goes (want her to be able to sleep off the trauna and come out of the bed when she is ready, without being totally petrified) Before this she was just in the bed and Paddy sniffed and nudged her regularly. Oh the joys. Paddy now checking the crate every 5 mins and occasionally barking when she moves. Paddy has had loadsa love attention and treats.

(confused) HELP (question)
Sam - Mum to
Paddy (p/s) 03/01/09
Lola (b) 07/02/10
Tulip

Re: Update as promised - when Paddy met Lola

Post by Tulip »

Hi there.
Not to worry. :)
Right. First things first. Get Lola snuggled on your lap on the sofa, and then, let Paddy up. It's important he sees Lola up there first so he realises that YOU, the resource giver, have decided you want her up there before him, and he can't do much about it. So let him up, from now on, only when Lola is up there. He'll learn that sofa and love-ins = Lola, and thus, Lola is friend! When they're up there together, have him next to you on one side, and Lola on the other. Let them touch noses, make sure Lola doesn't get too crowding at him in this stage. Just a sniff and such with faces and then watch telly. Don't let either on your lap yet, just watch telly and eventually they'll drop off. This is a good thing - you need him to learn how to relax around her. Do this every day, all day when they're together. When she's allowed to be outside in the big wide world, walking them together will be a good way for them to bond as a pack.
When on the floor, make sure Paddy is on lead, just in case. Then let them play, in short doses. ALWAYS end on a good note so neither can associate the other with bad.
I wouldn't suggest toys yet, as they're what can cause fights, but if Paddy does take one off her or growls at her for taking his, simply take it off him and give it to her. He needs to learn that YOU produce the toys and it isn't his place to tell the littlie off.
Keep up these simple techniques and it should go well. :)
paddynlola

Post by paddynlola »

Hi
thanks I will try that - Paddy seems so overwhelming not leaving her alone! He must be exhausted too. I think as long as we are in control at all times Paddy will realise its our way or no way. I will keep you posted and value any tips
(thanks)
Sam - Mum to
Paddy (p/s) 03/01/09
Lola (b) 07/02/10
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Paddy is probably excited to have a new playmate!
wixter

Post by wixter »

I'd be a bit inclined to let them get on with it, whilst keeping an extremely watchful eye on Paddy. He's obviously a bit confused at having his home invaded by a young whipper-snapper, but I seriously doubt whether his barking is aggressive. It's probably just an invitation to play, although clearly your-Lola (as opposed to the-Lola, mine!) is a bit unnerved by it. She must have heard barking before, when she was with the breeder, it's just that this situation is all a bit new to her. And scary.

My border collie was introduced to my then partner's dog - we semi-lived together - and the red setter bit her when she was eight weeks old, and that WAS scary. They ended up absolutely fine together. The red setter was about 8 and highly p****d off at this new arrival, so whilst I was furious, I couldn't entirely blame her.

I'd suggest getting your-Lola used to her surroundings, let her relax a bit, don't freeze out Paddy or you'll simply make him jealous, and then let them out in the garden together, with an ever beady eye on the situation. If he is aggressive - not barking, but teeth bared or snarling, then say "NO" in a deep voice, pull him away from her. Restrain him, then release him after five minutes and try again. And again. And again.

They will be fine. Don't make either jealous of the other, least of all Paddy. He's the older dog and he's top dog. He just wants to make that clear, and play, probaby.

Human intervention in these things can make them worse. If your-Lola thinks she can yelp and you will always rush to save her from just a bark, she will soon learn to play on it.

I hope I don't sound too harsh.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

some good practical advice there from wixter.
Note: i have edited your post as the swear word may be deemed offensive.