intensive courses

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
dannie_kl

Re: intensive courses

Post by dannie_kl »

thanks elaine!
entemeranair

Post by entemeranair »

I don't know if this might be of any interest...
http://goodboydogschool.com/
This guy does a summer camp in Kent which might be good fun. It got a good review in the Guardian last year. I got the impression people often take multiple dogs along - but it might depend on how well you cope with camping!!!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Thanks that link is interesting-i don't own a tent and have only been camping once in the last 15 years so not sure what i would think to camping but something to think on!
Joni

Post by Joni »

Looks a good website, but I am not sure if I could concentrate on the training with the trainers mullet, I have not seen one quite so magnificent for a long time!
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
entemeranair

Post by entemeranair »

I know! That mullet is spectacular! You have to have respect for a man who dares to sport such a look - it ranks up there with handlebar moustaches and lambchop sideburns...
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

*hums Motorhead*
EnzoFerrari

Post by EnzoFerrari »

OMG I am absolutely disgusted by how much they charge. It is a real mony making business in this country. Not surprised there is so many untrained dogs around...

Now to your question Dannie about a training weekend. I have done various courses with my dogs. One was a working trials weekend course. It was fantastic, there was about 10-12 of us with our dogs and we had an instruction into working trials. We did the tracking, the obedience and the redirection exercises. We had two days of intesive training with the dogs and it was good fun.
As for "dog issue" training I cannot give much advise. I think its up the the individual. I had a few problems to sort out with Luigi one of them his recall i.e he saw another dog and he was off once he was off Enzo followed! Pack mentality and it not always goes down well with other owners... I didnt have time to take him to a fancy dog school elsewhere. I just took him along with me to the training club I goto with Enzo. Because we all can work our dogs individually and there is no more than 3 dogs on the field at the time. So there is a bit of distraction but also enough space inbetween the dogs. Luigi learned really quickly the purpose of the training and he improved massively.
Sometimes a little one to one with each dog works wonders! And once you have them at the stage where you want them to be on their own you can start putting the pieces together i.e bring another dog in. Most important is that they are focused on you and that is better when on their own.

I met David Anderson at our last trial I believe he is down at your end of the country. He seemed like a good handler and trainer. Maybe you can give him a call. heres the link http://www.chancepixiesdobermann.com/dobe_training.htm or
http://www.bestbehaviourschoolfordogs.c ... minars.htm
EnzoFerrari

Post by EnzoFerrari »

I just seen they even have a mini on the front of the web site!!
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Madly scanned the page looking for the mini, waited for all the changing pictures at the top, still no mini all disappointed, then realised - he's stood on the title! DOH!
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
EnzoFerrari

Post by EnzoFerrari »

Caramomo wrote:Madly scanned the page looking for the mini, waited for all the changing pictures at the top, still no mini all disappointed, then realised - he's stood on the title! DOH!
no better place for them to be [laughing]
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

thanks for the links enzoferrari, i'll weigh up all my options and see what is going to suit me and my dogs best.