Porphyrin

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
MLOW
First Name: Michelle

Porphyrin

Post by MLOW »

My mini is black and silver and recently has developed a red staining on his beard due to porphyrin in his saliva. Does anyone have any advice about feeding to avoid this? He's currently eating Wainwright's hypoallergenic wet food.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Re: Porphyrin

Post by schnauzer »

Hi & welcome, I give charcoal biscuits, filtered water & probiotic yoghurt to my boy, this helps. My last girl developed a stained beard & it worked a treat on her, eventually her beard was white again. My boy has had all since day one when he was old enough to have them, last April I noticed that his beard was staining turned out he needed teeth out, he had 14 teeth out & now his beard on going white again. It takes time so persevere
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
MLOW
First Name: Michelle

Re: Porphyrin

Post by MLOW »

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. He has got staining on his canine teeth so that could be a factor. Will try the dietary suggestions too...much appreciated.