can you sharpen clipper blades or are they just replaced?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
machosky
Puppy
First Name: Sarah

can you sharpen clipper blades or are they just replaced?

Post by machosky »

I bought a wahl clippers. It worked great the first couple of times now it's useless. I thought I could get the blades sharpened but that hasn't made any difference. I think I need to upgrade the clippers but do you always have to replace the blades or can they be sharpened? and how long do good ones last?
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: can you sharpen clipper blades or are they just replaced?

Post by Dinkum »

I have had the same wahl blades since I bought my first set of clippers back in 2014. I clip both dogs every 6 weeks or so. Not as frequently as a groomer would, but they still needed sharpening. I used Anglia Clipper Services to have mine serviced and sharpened in 2021. Great service from them. https://www.angliaclipperservices.com/
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
machosky
Puppy
First Name: Sarah

Re: can you sharpen clipper blades or are they just replaced?

Post by machosky »

thanks Dinkum, that's really useful, so it looks like I would be wasting my time replacing the blade on my clippers and I should just upgrade the clippers since the blade should have lasted more that two hair cuts.