How to find if breeder is still an active breeder and relatives of my Mini

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Sharky980
Puppy
First Name: Steve

How to find if breeder is still an active breeder and relatives of my Mini

Post by Sharky980 »

Hi everyone I’ve been posting in the new member area for a few weeks
I’m doing a fair bit of research for when we have another pup
I’m wondering if anyone can help me.
If you see in the new members I lost my baby girl Molly earlier this year and we are starting to prepare to welcome a new pup into our lives and give it just as good a home and love as our baby girl Molly had.
Molly was a KC mini and we have her certificate and past relative names.
It would be nice to know if any of her relatives have had litters so we are wondering how we would find out?
I’ve been on the Kennel Club website looking at breeders and I can’t seem to find the names of the breeder that we got Molly from.
It’s not a problem if we can’t find if she has any relatives but worth a try
You don’t know unless you ask! It’s the detective in me haha.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: How to find if breeder is still an active breeder and relatives of my Mini

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Steve, if you have your Molly’s registered KC name, you should be able to go into her record on the Kennel Club website. This will give you her parentage and her siblings (if any). You can explore records of any of the dogs in her pedigree (as long as they are also KC registered) in terms of health tests; litters etc. by clicking on the name. The website has been changed significantly from a few years back but it is possible to trace some information about the dogs although not their owners that way.

If any of Molly’s siblings have been bred from and possibly their progeny too, they may be registered under a kennel affix which could help you trace the breeder. You should be able to find her siblings names listed by going into the record of her mother on the pedigree and selecting the litter in which Molly was born via the date. You can then check the records of each sibling to see if they have had a litter or sired a litter.

Often the first word in a registered name will be the kennel / breeder’s affix. For example, our Magic was Silversocks Sharade - Silversocks being her breeder’s affix. Sometimes, if a breeder obtains a puppy from another kennel they may request the Kennel Club to have their own affix added at the end of the registered name so you can find 2 kennel names e.g again with Magic - we added our affix so she is now Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite. Once you know the affix you may find it easier to trace the breeder if that helps!

To look up a dog that is KC registered, use the ‘Look up a Dog’ tool on their website also known as Health Test Results finder. It is part way down the page for ‘Getting A Dog’, under the heading Useful Resources:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sharky980
Puppy

Post by Sharky980 »

Thanks for the info very informative
I have now found everything I need through that search.
Mollys Mother only had the one litter and Molly was the only female in that litter so the line stopped at Molly from what I can see her brothers did not sire any litters either.
Mollys father did sire a few litters so that branches off.
It was really interesting seeing all the info Molly’s COI was 2.6% which is low.
COI is something we never even looked at or we even asked when we first got Molly but I’ve recently been researching more and more since coming to this forum.
I’ve contacted a few breeders on KC 1 has got back to me about a potential litter after the summer.
Another I have been looking at is Ferncliffe as I’ve seen some good comments about them.
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Post by HugoBrum »

Sharky980 wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 11:05 Thanks for the info very informative ........................... Another I have been looking at is Ferncliffe as I’ve seen some good comments about them.
You have private message with regards to the above, was sent two days ago. Sadly unable to write anything on this thread regarding breeder recommendations.
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis
Lucy17
First Name: Lucy

Post by Lucy17 »

Hi Doug,

I too am looking for a miniature schnauzer pup and I am intrigued by your comment. Please could you also PM me your response?
Thanks
Lucy
Sharky980
Puppy

Post by Sharky980 »

Just a quick update
We’ve been in touch with a few breeders and we’ve had some really nice chats with a few.
Hopefully we will have news from one breeder who has been really nice and could possibly have potential litter later this year once their girl is in season which they said should be soon, so hopefully they have ear marked us so once they know more they will get back in touch with us.
Fingers crossed we will hopefully be welcoming a mini back into our lives towards the end of the year.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Sharky980 wrote: 14 May 2023, 08:44 Just a quick update
We’ve been in touch with a few breeders and we’ve had some really nice chats with a few.
Hopefully we will have news from one breeder who has been really nice and could possibly have potential litter later this year once their girl is in season which they said should be soon, so hopefully they have ear marked us so once they know more they will get back in touch with us.
Fingers crossed we will hopefully be welcoming a mini back into our lives towards the end of the year.
That’s great to hear and fingers crossed that you soon have a mini in your family again :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sharky980
Puppy

Post by Sharky980 »

Thank you
I will drop an update on once I have some more info