Clipped hair eater!

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Amanda21
Puppy
First Name: Amanda

Clipped hair eater!

Post by Amanda21 »

Hi all,

I'm just wondering whether this is normal or I've got a strange puppy on my hands! :-"

Alfie is now 8 months old and I clip him myself, which he is very well behaved apart from always wanting to be laying down. The issue I'm having is that he tries his hardest to eat any clipped hair that's on the ground, which I say no and scoop away the hair as best as I can, but he keeps trying all the time. Not sure whether he sees it as a game or he has an issue going on, but any suggestions?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Clipped hair eater!

Post by zeta1454 »

It is quite common for puppies to try and eat hair that falls to the ground. Puppies pretty much try anything that looks in the least edible to them so nothing to worry about as regards anything being wrong with him. However, it can make them gag or vomit and it is best to try and make sure the hair is all cleared up if you can. It won’t do him any harm eating a little but not really any good either! I am sure he will think it is a game trying to get it before you scoop it up so probably an idea to try and divert him with something else before you start picking it up or just lift him away to somewhere he can’t get at the hair until you have cleared it away.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Amanda21
Puppy
First Name: Amanda

Post by Amanda21 »

Thanks, that's put my mind at ease. I will try and come up with a way of distracting him!
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Try teaching him 'leave it'. He gets a little treat for leaving it alone. I know it takes a bit of time to teach it, but he gets a treat as reward/trade.

And yes, all my schnauzers like(d) to eat their fallen hair, not even just the pups! I tell them "I'll clean up, you don't have to....." It works......sometimes.....