Reactive Male Giant

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
HollieR
Puppy
First Name: Hollie
Dog #1: Kane
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 09 Nov 2020

Reactive Male Giant

Post by HollieR »

Hi there!

Looking for some advice and this is the first place I thought of!

We have a male Giant (Kane) who’s just over 20 months, he’s a great dog, he’s friendly, but aloof with it, he tends to ignore people and go straight for their dog, if they don’t have one he’s not really interested.
He’s never been aggressive - ever, apart from a lot of noise if we are away in the camper van, but I put that down to purely guarding / protective instincts.

We re-homed another GS (Rufus) about 3 weeks ago. It’s been absolutely brilliant, they get on like a house on fire, total partners in crime, it’s like they’ve known each other their whole lives, we’ve just landed so lucky that it’s all went so smoothly!

However, since we got Rufus, Kane has started to show aggression when we are out walking, mainly to men, for no reason at all. They won’t even be looking in his direction, just walking past, and he’s barking and lunging at them? Then Rufus starts barking (although) he has no idea what he’s barking at)!

My husband had a friend round for dinner this evening and we couldn’t even have Kane in the same room, he barely let him in the door and he was proper trying to bark up at his face, poor guy was terrified.

I dont’ know if Kane is being protective of Rufus or what, but I need to put a stop to this asap!

Any advice?

We did just get Kane neutered about 9/10 days ago so his hormones must be all over the place!

Thanks,
Hollie
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Reactive Male Giant

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm inclined to think Kane is showing signs of over arousal due the exciting change in his lifestyle with Rufus and the neutering causing him discomfort making him feel out of sorts.

It may also be that their first walks together it was Rufus who initiated the barking from Kane (he may not have barked but could have shown anxiety in his posture ) now Kane thinks that what's you do when out with Rufus when you see a man.Dogs can make weird associations.

What is he like if he is walked separately? Also are they separated for part of the day or just allowed to play as much as they like?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"