Will my puppy get wire coat when she grows up?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
MightyBindi
Puppy
First Name: Diana

Will my puppy get wire coat when she grows up?

Post by MightyBindi »

Bindi is 3 months old and she has been clipped twice, once by the breeder and once by myself, as i was a complete newbie to stripping and i thought it would hurt her.

However, i decided to get a stripping knife and try my luck. She is very calm and sleeps on my lap when i strip her. From what i can see, both fluff and some thicker hairs come out. Does this mean she will get wire coat when she is older?

Another question i have is: her coat keeps getting longer and longer and i dont want to clip her anymore, though stripping only removes dead hair and is not shortening the coat. How do you make the coat shorter with stripping? Not all her longer hairs want to come out. Should i wait until she is older? Or should i forcefully pull even the hairs that dont come out easily?

Here are 2 pics of the coat i get in the stripping knife and the puppy. Any advice is greatly appreciated. (*)

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Will my puppy get wire coat when she grows up?

Post by Dawnspell »

Not all dogs will get the wire coat a lot depends upon what coats the parents have. If both parents had good wire coats then you should be fine. At 3 months even though shes been clipped you should be able to get a strippable coat if its in her genes.

I would keep carding her coat to keep removing the fluffy undercoat and encourage the wire to start coming in, as well as stripping what you can. It does take several weeks once stripped for the new wire hair to come through, so it might be youve not seen the effects yet. I cant really tell from the photos what her coat is like for some reason I cant enlarge it.

With Jasper I strip his coat every 7 days you need to do it at regular intervals to get an even growth. When I wanted his coat shorter I started stripping the same amount but every 5 days. Once it was the length I wanted I returned to every 7 days. You dont have to do it weekly I know some strip every 2 weeks or longer and take more hair. Jasper is a wriggle bottom by nature so shorter regular sessions removing less hair at a time work for him.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
MightyBindi
Puppy
First Name: Diana

Post by MightyBindi »

Thank you very much. Not sure if her parents had the potential for wire coats as her mom was clipped and her dad seemed clipped as well from the pics.

I am thinking of stripping weekly as you said and hopefully i will manage to shorten her coat like that without clipping.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

MightyBindi wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 11:52 Another question i have is: her coat keeps getting longer and longer and i dont want to clip her anymore, though stripping only removes dead hair and is not shortening the coat. How do you make the coat shorter with stripping? Not all her longer hairs want to come out. Should i wait until she is older? Or should i forcefully pull even the hairs that dont come out easily?
First off, I am in no way professional so only sharing what I have learned.
I had this question too when I started hand stripping! You only pull the longest hairs. Fluff them up so you can see the length and pull the longest ones. Keep going (probably another session) until you get the length you want. In the summer I strip shorter and let it get longer in the winter. I try to keep carding up so there's less soft undercoat because it's difficult to get the coat back into summer shape.

I think he was 5-8 months old before I noticed a nice wire jacket coming though.

I'm still stripping hairs around Ozzy's neck and chest and they are still pretty fine because I've only started serious at it and he's almost 2YO. For the softer hairs, it does take longer because they are so fine and there's so much of them, so I only pull a few or 2 at a time. I also try to spread out where I'm pulling at one time so it's not all in one spot.