Liver cake recipe?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Re: Liver cake recipe?

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

I'm sure it will work Jen if it needs it you could put a tsp of Zanthan gum in to bind it , I always use rice flour I am a dairy, egg, wheat and soya free person myself I use kara coconut milk so that's what the dogs get
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Josie790
First Name: Jo

Post by Josie790 »

Dotty enjoying the spoon after my first attempt at liver cake. It was an experience. I'm going to cut into small pieces then freeze.

Jo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel_Time
First Name: Barbara

Post by Angel_Time »

Hi there everyone,

I just have 2 questions re the liver cake recipe please :-)
I have been training my puppy with liver cake for 4 months now. I recently took him to the vet and she was HORRIFIED that I was giving him liver. I found the recipe on a facebook group specific for Schnauzers so I am so confused as to why they would give us this recipe if liver was so bad for them. Secondly, I threw my second batch of liver cake in the bin when I added garlic as my daughter told me that garlic is very dangerous for dogs.

I am so confused. Can you guys please give me some insights here?

Thanks a mi!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Did the vet say why? The only problem I can think of is if you give them too much it can give them runny poos. If you were feeding a total diet of liver it would be bad but I dont see the concern for a few treats.

As for the garlic. They did some research and found microscopic changes in some red blood cells . They had to feed a 70lb dog the equivalent of 245 cloves of garlic over the course of a week :-o in the form of extract to get these microscopic changes. That is the research that the urban myth came from. A little bit of garlic is fine.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Both liver and garlic are safe for dogs in reasonable quantities for the size of the dog and can be fed raw or cooked. Vets are rarely experts in dog nutrition unless they have taken positive steps to learn about this after qualifying as it is not a part of their training.

There are dangers with any food whether for dogs or humans if taken in excess and, with regard to dogs, certain breeds and any dog that has a specific health issue, may need to avoid or limit liver and/or garlic. However a fit healthy puppy can well tolerate and even benefit from the inclusion of liver and garlic as a treat or as part of their meals.

There are a couple of links here with more detailed information on each of these which explain both benefits and potential risks:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/w ... dog-liver/

https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-garlic-for-dogs/

We feed our dogs raw meals and have done for 15 years including liver and garlic regularly in their food and have no concerns that it causes any health issue with any of them. We currently have 14 dogs of varying ages from 7 months to 12 years. Our (previously) eldest dog passed away a couple of months ago just short of his 15th birthday and passed naturally at home having been well and active until just before the end. Over the years we have rarely seen the vets other than for spay surgeries or health check-ups to confirm that all is well with them as they age. Even with our eldest dogs their blood screens have been good with no concerns and none are on medication or have needed parasite treatments.

Do check with the vet as to why exactly she was concerned about liver for your puppy but the above linked article does cover the topic well and liver is commonly found in countless dog foods of all kind as well as in commercially made treats so can hardly be considered a danger generally.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

zeta1454 wrote: ↑26 May 2022, 11:55 Our (previously) eldest dog passed away a couple of months ago just short of his 15th birthday and passed naturally at home having been well and active until just before the end.
Sorry to hear about this Leigh. Was this Crybbe ? Sending hugs to you and Judith and the rest of the gang :ymhug:
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Dawnspell wrote: ↑26 May 2022, 12:21
zeta1454 wrote: ↑26 May 2022, 11:55 Our (previously) eldest dog passed away a couple of months ago just short of his 15th birthday and passed naturally at home having been well and active until just before the end.
Sorry to hear about this Leigh. Was this Crybbe ? Sending hugs to you and Judith and the rest of the gang :ymhug:
Thank you Alison - yes it was Crybbe who passed away and left us devastated πŸ’”
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/