Puppy Colour

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
BlodwynTheSchnauzer
Puppy
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Blodwyn
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Apr 2022

Puppy Colour

Post by BlodwynTheSchnauzer »

Hi all 😁

Quick question if you'd be so kind to help.

We bring our beautiful Blodwyn home in 2 weeks. Her Mum is Salt and Pepper and a lot lighter than our pup.

Do pups generally get lighter or do they stay similar?

TIA

Mike
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Puppy Colour

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Mike - the colour of schnauzer coats does vary according to whether they are hand stripped or clipped. Although a dark puppy coat can get a little lighter once it is stripped out and the adult coat comes through, if there is a real difference in colour in an adult dog from its puppy days this is usually because the coat has been clipped. Clipping or ‘shaving’ removes the harsh top coat and reveals the softer undercoat which is often a lighter shade. We have seen very dark S&P puppies become almost silver white adults after repeated clipping over the years.
Having said that there are some variations in the pepper and salt miniature schnauzers anyway as to how dark or light they may be but this is usually due to the parents’ colouring and can be affected by one or both parents having a black or black and silver ancestor which can bring a darker colouration to some mini’s coats.
If you want to retain Blodwyn’s natural colour, hand stripping is the best way and this will preserve the harsh top coat too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
BlodwynTheSchnauzer
Puppy

zeta1454 wrote: ↑21 May 2022, 17:40 Hi Mike - the colour of schnauzer coats does vary according to whether they are hand stripped or clipped. Although a dark puppy coat can get a little lighter once it is stripped out and the adult coat comes through, if there is a real difference in colour in an adult dog from its puppy days this is usually because the coat has been clipped. Clipping or ‘shaving’ removes the harsh top coat and reveals the softer undercoat which is often a lighter shade. We have seen very dark S&P puppies become almost silver white adults after repeated clipping over the years.
Having said that there are some variations in the pepper and salt miniature schnauzers anyway as to how dark or light they may be but this is usually due to the parents’ colouring and can be affected by one or both parents having a black or black and silver ancestor which can bring a darker colouration to some mini’s coats.
If you want to retain Blodwyn’s natural colour, hand stripping is the best way and this will preserve the harsh top coat too :)
That is really useful information. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :D
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

will try & attach photos of my boy who is now 5yrs old. Colour definitely changes
Image age 12 weeks first time on the beach

Image 6 month old in this one

Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
BlodwynTheSchnauzer
Puppy

schnauzer wrote: ↑22 May 2022, 11:21 will try & attach photos of my boy who is now 5yrs old. Colour definitely changes
Image age 12 weeks first time on the beach

Image 6 month old in this one

Thanks for the pics. Your boy is beautiful! :o3
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Awww Blodwyn looks so adorable, congrats on your puppy! From what I've seen, the lighter they are to begin with as puppies the lighter they become as adults. The schnauzers I've had that had both a S&P gene plus one B&S gene stayed darker (in some cases they were actually black or stayed a very dark charcoal grey with clippering). But the ones with 2 S&P genes lightened up considerably by 6 months. The lighter they are as puppies, the lighter we could expect them to be as adults. Blodwyn looks a bit lighter than my schnauzers were, I think he'll be a nice light silver (probably similar to Gino or even lighter). I unfortunately don't have any digital pics of my past pups, and my current boy is full B&S).
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Awww Blodwyn looks so adorable, congrats on your puppy! From what I've seen, the lighter they are to begin with as puppies the lighter they become as adults. The schnauzers I've had that had both a S&P gene plus one B&S gene stayed darker (in some cases they were actually black or stayed a very dark charcoal grey with clippering). But the ones with 2 S&P genes lightened up considerably by 6 months. The lighter they are as puppies, the lighter we could expect them to be as adults. Blodwyn looks a bit lighter than my schnauzers were, I think she'll be a nice light silver (probably similar to Gino or even lighter). I unfortunately don't have any digital pics of my past pups, and my current boy is full B&S.
BlodwynTheSchnauzer
Puppy

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic