8.5 F 2 grand mal seizures

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
starstorm
First Name: Sarah

8.5 F 2 grand mal seizures

Post by starstorm »

Hello,

I have a mini schnauz who is 8.5F. She's been healthy all her life, except for a spinal injury last fall.

February 15th, she had 2 grand mal seizures out of nowhere. This was a day after being groomed, and 2 days after her last Simparica dose (she no longer takes this.)

Took her to ER vet twice (after both seizures.) Vet ran a ton of tests which all came back normal except for some abnormalities in the microalbuminaria.

She has been on Keppra since then. Early April, she started having mini/partial/focal seizures, with almost all of them happening when resting/sleeping. She has been conscious for all of these and responds to her name.

It's been almost 3 months. I know the odds of a brain tumor are high, but there have been no other changes so far. Her seizures are relatively stable. Has anyone had a similar experience? Was it a brain tumor? How long did your mini live? Is it true that minis with brain tumors will act normally up until the last few weeks?

We cannot afford an MRI, and it's hard not knowing what to expect. I want to get a second opinion, but expenses are adding up fast. I want her to be comfortable.

My fear is that she will be in pain and I won't know it. She plays and eats normally. She still knows all her commands and acts normal. Is it really normal for there to be no other changes (other than seizures) after 3 months? My other fear is treating this as if it is 100% a cancerous brain tumor, and it ends up being something else.

Thanks in advance.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: 8.5 F 2 grand mal seizures

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Sarah and welcome to the Forum :)

I am sorry to hear about your mini’s seizures and the worry you are going through without a definite diagnosis. I have no experience of this condition with our minis over the years so hopefully another Forum member may be able to help from direct experience.

I am sure you have researched the conditions - seizures and brain tumours in dogs but there are a couple of links here with information too:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... rs-in-dogs

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... l-for-dogs

From reading information online, the symptoms of a brain tumour other than seizures don’t seem to be affecting your mini from your description? I do think that you would know if she is in pain as, even without being able to speak, dogs can show if they are in pain by many different ways and you are likely to pick up changes in her behaviour, reaction to certain touching, reluctance to move in particular ways, more withdrawn etc. If she is eating and playing normally that is positive. Seizures of themselves are not generally painful as I understand and even when a dog vocalises during a seizure this can simply be caused by the electrical overactivity in the dog’s brain.

You are right to stop the Simparica which is the brand name for ‘sarolaner’ and is known to cause seizures in dogs that have had no previous history of this. The product insert from the manufacturer states:

“Sarolaner is a member of the isoxazoline class. This class has been associated with neurologic adverse reactions including tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving isoxazoline class drugs, even in dogs without a history of seizures.”

Whether or not this product was implicated in the initial seizures it is best to avoid any similar products of this kind as the reaction is not that uncommon in many pesticide type treatments prescribed for dogs.

Do have a search on the Forum for any posts and topics regarding seizures / neurological conditions by using the search box in the top right hand corner of this web page or look through the Health section in the Board Index and hopefully someone with personal experience will be able to offer advice too.

Do try not to worry if your little one is fine between the seizures and the vet tests were clear. It is not always helpful for the dog or useful for their family to have too many exploratory investigations anyway which can be stressful and do not always provide answers so don’t fret too much about not being able to afford the scans. Stress can trigger seizures in dogs that are prone to these so just try to keep your mini happy and relaxed and while you don’t have a definite diagnosis of a brain tumour, try to put this fear out of mind for now and enjoy every day with your little one.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
starstorm
First Name: Sarah

Post by starstorm »

I thought she'd been acting slightly different, but nothing serious, until this week.

We had a bell collar on her so we could hear when she has a seizure. One of her dewclaws got caught (appears the groomer didn't trim them last time, they were much longer than usual) and broke. The vet fixed that and had her on pain meds, and her mood and behavior was much better the first few days. Playing more, actually headbutting me for pets (I didn't even realize she'd stopped doing this,) more awoos, trying to cuddle again/sleeping on bed with me and not on the floor/behind the door.

I just gave her last dose of it, and she's closer to how she was before the pain meds. I didn't realize all the changes had happened, because they'd happened slowly over 3 months. I don't know why I didn't notice. I feel terrible now. I don't think she has long left since the pain med stopped helping so much, and I'm not sure what more they can do for her even if they put her on one for the rest of her life.

Her breathing has also become loud when she's sleeping, almost like a pig snort at times. It's not constant, but it wasn't this way before. (started in the past week.)

Going to call vet tomorrow. I was hoping she'd make it until after my birthday this week, but I feel like she's suffering. She's eating/drinking and plays when she goes outside. She potties normally. She will play for 5-30 minutes a day. But, she's not the same. I don't think her quality of life is good.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

That does sound as though your little one has been in pain and the meds have highlighted that. Don’t blame yourself for not picking up the small changes - sometimes things can worsen very quickly and she may not have been in so much pain until more recently.

You are definitely doing the right thing in consulting with your vet again as to what is best for her going forward. Whatever your decision, it will be made from love and care for her and she will know that. Thinking of you both - take care :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/