potential first time giant schnauzer owner advice / a good service dog breed?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
chrisisthebestt
First Name: isabella

potential first time giant schnauzer owner advice / a good service dog breed?

Post by chrisisthebestt »

I have never owned a Giant before but i am in love with the Giant Schnauzer, every time I see one online I melt inside and light up. I follow someone with the user siriusly.working (youtube, insta, tiktok, linktree) and she is a service dog trainer/handler/ and owner trained her Giant Schnauzer for service dog work and he is amazing at only 1 year and 5-9 months you wouldn't even think he is the kind of breed to have issues. There was a time where he was still in tact at around 7 months old and was allowed to play with another in tact male service dog and they played amazingly and still play to this day. The thing is i am friend with an owner of an English springer spaniel service dog and he is planning on getting a dobe by the time he's 18, he says i shouldn't get one bc i dont have GS experience, however i did extensive research and even used this website to get more info, i know everything from the temperament, groomer, feeding, expense and exercise and more. The GS service dog handler also said Schnauzers aren't good for first timers unless you have experience. However i did see one person on this site that said it doesn't matter if you have experience no dog will prepare you and if you have done extensive research and are committed to deal with the breed properly then its perfectly fine. I am 99% sure i am able to care for a Giant and will be financially stable by the time i get one, the 1% is the fear that i wont be able to find a really good reputable breeder that doesn't breed for mostly protection or police work to avoid any natural problems. I talked with my dad and he says i should go for a smaller breed bc of costs but i am fully confident i will be able to pay for anything the dog would need. He also says he does not mind me owning a big dog and does not mind the idea of me going in public with it.

Any advice/opinions?
Here is a picture of my friends springer sd his name is Henry and the giant sd, his name is Sirius

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: potential first time giant schnauzer owner advice / a good service dog breed?

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

I am assuming that you want a Giant Schnauzer as a companion dog rather than a service dog?

As with any dog you want to introduce into the family, there are the usual questions you need to consider and it sounds as though you have been thinking about these:

Is the breed the best one for your lifestyle; what are their needs in terms of training, exercise, grooming, activities to challenge them; the financial costs of vet fees; insurance; food etc.

As you mention too it is vital that you find a reputable, supportive breeder with a good knowledge of the breed and who can select a puppy that will best suit you and will advise and support you throughout the life of the dog. You also need to be sure that all relevant health tests have been carried out on the parent dogs to minimise the risks of hereditary conditions affecting their offspring.

Have you actually met a Giant Schnauzer? With any breed you are thinking of getting, it really is important that you meet them ‘in the flesh’ and get to talk to owners (and breeders) direct before you commit to getting a puppy. There is a lot of information online now from a wide range of sources but nothing can compete with seeing the dogs and meeting their owners. If you can do so, I would join or at least contact the Giant Schnauzer Club of America and see if you can go to a show or other event where you can meet and discuss with owners/breeders your dream of owning a Giant Schnauzer and get some advice and feedback from them as to how practical this is for you personally. There is plenty of information on their website:

http://www.giantschnauzerclubofamerica.com/

And some more advice on the U.K. Giant Schnauzer Club regarding getting a puppy:

https://www.giantschnauzerclub.co.uk/Choosingapuppy

The problem however with only relying on online or written material about a dog breed is that it will always be a generalisation and many people from vets, dog trainers, dog owners, breeders etc. may have a view based on their specific experience which may be slightly different from the general view. Giant Schnauzers are not an easy dog for a novice due to size and temperament and this is probably why many people will advise other breeds as a first time dog. The miniature schnauzer was bred to be a companion dog and definitely fits this role whereas the Giant Schnauzer breed was developed as a working dog and needs plenty of mental challenges as well as physical exercise and training. Although I can understand seeing a beautiful dog such as the GS and thinking how amazing it would be to have one but it is so important to know that you can give any puppy you bring into your home the best possible life and to meet the needs of that breed specifically. Too many dogs are abandoned or surrendered to shelters when they reach adolescence between 9 months to 2 years old when families have underestimated how much work and responsibilities are involved with having a dog and some breeds will be that much more challenging than others in this respect.

Hopefully you may get more specific advice from Forum members with Giant Schnauzers but there is also plenty of information on the Board Index too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
chrisisthebestt
First Name: isabella

Re: potential first time giant schnauzer owner advice / a good service dog breed?

Post by chrisisthebestt »

chrisisthebestt wrote: 10 May 2022, 15:13 I have never owned a Giant before but i am in love with the Giant Schnauzer, every time I see one online I melt inside and light up. Ive had many people say i shouldn't get one bc i dont have GS experience, however i did extensive research and even used this website to get more info, i know everything from the temperament, groomer, feeding, expense and exercise and more. Ive seen many breeders or owners with years of experience, one with 70 years, say that it doesnt matter and its okay to be a first time owner as long as you are completely educated and committed. I also did see one person on this site that said it doesn't matter if you have experience no dog will prepare you and if you have done extensive research and are committed to deal with the breed properly then its perfectly fine. I am 99% sure i am able to care for a Giant and will be financially stable by the time i get one, the 1% is the fear that i wont be able to find a really good reputable breeder that doesn't breed for mostly protection or police work to avoid any natural problems. I talked with my dad and he says i should go for a smaller breed bc of costs but i am fully confident i will be able to pay for anything the dog would need. He also says he does not mind me owning a big dog and does not mind the idea of me going in public with it.

UPDATE: i have spoken to many different breeders and have done extensive research to determine that the giant schnauzer is a good fit for my financial situation and lifestyle. I will be getting one for service work, however if i do not get a response back from the breeder i may use a different one or go for a different breed.