chicken jerky

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Pahermit
Puppy
First Name: hal

chicken jerky

Post by Pahermit »

Just a quick question.....is it safe to give a mini chicken jerky.My daughter makes jerky from chicken breast,no fillers or additives,just plain chicken.Want to use it for training treats.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: chicken jerky

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes I use it all the time. Some I dehydrate so its really dried out for chews other I partially dehydrate for training treats. I also grind up chicken breast and blend it with a cooked sweet potato and raw egg then dehydrate those in a silicone tray as treats.
These are liver cake treats but this is one of the trays.
I also have these trays that make slightly bigger treats
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114797131493 ... BM0N6WgdRf
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

What type of dehydrator do you have? I saw a large 9 in 1 appliance, it bakes, air fries, toasts, other things and dehydrates. It might fit one of those pyramid pans. I'm thinking on buying one. It would save a lot of money on treats and I'll know what goes into them. All you do is dehydrate? No baking?
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I've got an old Aga from the 1940s :)) the bottom oven works the same as a dehydrator. I've got an air fryer its only small though but i could fit one small tray in to see how it works.

I tend not to bake treats as I'd walk off and forget about them in the oven and theyd bake really quick with them being small =)) You dont get any smell cooking in the oven with an aga as it all goes up the flue, unless you open the door, which of course if youve forgotten about them you dont smell them burning. I speak from experience :))
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Oh thanks Alison! That must be a really cool oven! Actually my oven has a warming drawer on the bottom, is that similar? I actually bought an air fryer/oven/dehydrator combo thing, I should be receiving it tomorrow. If I like it I can get a more dedicated dehydrator. I'm excited to try it!
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Anything that holds a temp between 120F to 160F will do fine.
The furbabies dont mind if its not perfect.
Youre going to have fun.
Our first family dog
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

So excited lol. Ok, I don't think the warmer drawer will work, I don't think it has a fan. But! I received the new air fryer/ oven/ dehydrator combo thingy today and can't wait to try it out!

Sorry one more question, do you dehydrate in the silicone pyramid pan? And I still need a pyramid pan. How did I not know about this before? Lol
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes. The one in the photo I leave them in until theyre as dried as I want. The little squares one I tend to leave them in until they keep theyre shape well if I pop one out then put them out upside down so they dry evenly. With them being a bit bigger if you leave them in the tray the tops get really hard before the bottoms dried out fully.

Its all a bit trial and error to start with as different things dry at different rates. When using any meats use the lowest fat content. They dont last as well the higher fat content and treats can be a bit greasy. Dry a piece of chicken breast and a piece of chicken thigh and youll see the difference.

Have fun :D
Our first family dog
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Dawnspell wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 09:52 Yes. The one in the photo I leave them in until theyre as dried as I want. The little squares one I tend to leave them in until they keep theyre shape well if I pop one out then put them out upside down so they dry evenly. With them being a bit bigger if you leave them in the tray the tops get really hard before the bottoms dried out fully.

Its all a bit trial and error to start with as different things dry at different rates. When using any meats use the lowest fat content. They dont last as well the higher fat content and treats can be a bit greasy. Dry a piece of chicken breast and a piece of chicken thigh and youll see the difference.

Have fun :D
Thanks so much Alison! I will! .....have fun!