Jasper definitely grown up !

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Jasper definitely grown up !

Post by Dawnspell »

We were walking in fields /cliff paths this morning and Jasper was off lead running around sniffing for bunnies. In the blink of an eye he shot off at full speed. There wasnt any point in calling him he was off. 2 fields later I caught up with him as he was jumping all over this beautiful white samoyed who was on lead with a dog walker ( She was now a muddy pawed samoyed). The dog walker said she thought she was coming into season as a male dog she walks had been whining all morning which was why she only had her out of the van. I said i thoughtshe was right as Jasper was intact and the interest he was showing and how he'd taken off probably confirmed it. She was not happy at the dog owner but fortunately she hadnt let the dog off lead.

I just can believe the distance from which he detected the scent it wasnt even flat or anything in sight, and the speed he went there was nothing I could do. I'm at a loss what to think at the minute. Barney was intact and I always knew if an in season bitch was around as he always got very animated, but he never ran off like that. Jasper has also continued to be very frisky since we got back :D

Anybody else experienced anythng like this ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Jasper definitely grown up !

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Yes with Otto but fortunately he was on the lead otherwise he would have been off and I mean off. We have a lady in the village with a non spayed female lab who is walked when in-season. I thought something weird was going on with Otto but his implant was wearing off at the time and I wondered whether it was something to do with that. He was picking up the smell in the village obsessively and then he saw the lab and I was nearly pulled over. Didn't help that the lab wanted to get to him also. I had no clue really what was going on until the owner said her season was just finishing. Well Otto howled and howled in the middle of the High Street for ages, didn't want to go anywhere but follow the lab. Walks were a nightmare for a couple of days. There is no way I would have been able to get him back if he was off lead, he was not interested in anything else. Then we had a couple of days of howling in the house, sitting by the door, wailing at night, desperate to go out again.. and yes frisky. Roll on 6 months later (just a week or so ago) and Otto is really tracking a scent again and yes the lab is in season again. He seemed less affected by it tbh, still whimpering to go out first thing in the morning and one howling session in the High Street but I let him off lead where the lab had just been and he was really good. This time apparently the lab was in season rather than just finishing. I guess they smell stronger at different times. Poor boy bless him, during that time did try to hump my arm occasionally but he soon stops when said arms are removed out of the way. Completely new to me because all my other intact dogs were never interested in females. Oscar bless him stood next to a worried owners in season girl and he couldn't have cared less. Otto is a frisky little devil and really likes girls. Here he is desperate to get back on the town.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Ahh bless him, little monkey :))

I feel at the minute I cant let him off lead anywhere. A lot of our beaches have the main road running along side. Given the distance he ran, if the bitch had been on the other side of the road he would have run off the beach and straight across the road without even hesitating. They are a worry
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Well its happened again. Last night I was getting rubbish/recycling bags ready outside front door. Now our normal routine is Jasper waits patiently in the hall while I put the bags outside the front door, I then put his flexi lead on we go put the rubbish at the end of the drive he has last sniff, wonder about and pee pee before bed.

Last night I was just about to put last bag out he shoots past me leapt over the bags and races off down the drive :-o We live in lanes there is no street lighting and I'd no idea whether hed gone left or right. At first I thought he'd maybe heard Teddy across the road (he's quite often wondering around on his own) but he wasnt there. I got a better torch than my phone and walked in both directions looking for him, went around back of the house in case he'd come back but no sign of him. In what seemed like and eternity but was probably closer to 10 mins I saw car headlights coming in my direction, the car turned off and there was Jasper running full speed behind it towards me. I think he'd wondered further than he'd realised lost his bearings and just followed the car which happened to bring him close to home as he was very happy to see me.

Now I've no idea if this was girly related or not but it was totally out of our normal routine which dogs like to stick to. Very worrying, the fields incident was bad enough but running around roads at night in pitch black is not good :(
Our first family dog
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh my, I would have been panic stricken. I think at a similar age when we on holiday in Ilfracombe I was walking Otto off leash on a field next to a coastal path. He. had been really good off leash, there was excellent visibility and there were no dogs around. Suddenly he just took off up an embankment so I followed in hot pursuit and came to a lane one direction that went along the coast and the other went through a small wood. The only think I could do was stand where I last saw him at the top of the embankment because I had no clue which direction he went in. I felt so sick, I didn't know the area, I had thoughts about having to post missing dog on Facebook. I kept calling, well shouting, whistling no Otto for absolutely ages. Eventually what seemed like 10 mins later he came tearing down the lane from the coastal path and he looked as frantic as I was. Taught me a stark lesson, I was silly to let a young dog off leash in an area I knew nothing about. I think Japser is so very young he is just "going for it" when he can, the girly smell might have just encouraged something within. Otto really settled at 3 (not sure whether the implant delayed that a bit) so I would say Jasper not quite grown up yet.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I just wanted to update this now we have been doing games based concept training for a few months.

This morning I went outside through the door he'd bolted through previously but I had gone to right rather than the left which is the drive. OH opened the door to call to me but had failed to keep an eye on Jasper and he escaped. I saw him running in the direction of the drive, I called him he came running straight to me :D I know his motivation for coming out was me but I was still surprised that he instantly turned and ran to me when called, especially since Teddy the neighbours dog had been in the drive this morning.

What amazed me even more was he then stayed with me off lead and walked back to the house only stopped for a quick sniff of a bush, I did keep it animated like a game but I was expecting him to loose interest in me and make a bolt for freedom =)) Jasper the angel had a party of treats when he got in the front door (*) A few months ago he would have come to see where I was then tried to make a bolt out of the drive no matter how animated I was or what treats I had. I know this from past experience of training with him being on the very very long line while out in the front.
Our first family dog
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Good boy Jasper. Sounds like the hard work is paying off!

Both of mine are pretty good at recall but I know if it turns into a choice to return to me or chase any of the neighbour cats then I'll be left shouting "Wait" at a disappearing schnauzer bum. Both of them have a great drive to chase cats and look under every parked car when we walk around town!
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/